Debt Crisis: Spain's Jobless Flee To Argentina

Joe

Registered
http://www.telegraph...-Argentina.html

Maybe Christina isn't doing such a bad job after all.

And despite everything Camberiu says, I don't see any articles about Portuguese migrating to Brazil.

This must mean Argentina is doing better than Brazil economically!

I even know of a washed up Pommy college professor that has taken refuge in Argentina.

One question would be: With all the countries to choose from in Latin America why are Spaniards choosing Argentina?

Possible answers:
  1. Spaniards are tired of incompetent leaders and are flocking to Argentina because it is the only country on the continent with competent leadership.
  2. There are branches of the El Museo de Jamon in Argentina.
Any others?

The chose of spanish to come to Argentina is not because of the government ruling well lol, it have a lot of diferent factors, For what i have talk with the spanish working in my work place and from what they say in the spanish expats site the most important factor are the following:
1) Spain have a huge unemployment, and if you are young is almost imposible to start working specially as a profecional while here they find job relatively easy-
2) Spanish as lenguage is used in both countrys
3) Argentina even with the ashole of Kristina is still one of the safest an richest countrys in a Latam scale.
4) Buenos Aires is a huge city where they can find job and flight connection to madrid or any other place in spain very easyly
5) They find themself very confortable around Argentineans they mix very well with the local population and they feel well in the working enviroment.
6) They like the way people speak here
7) They have family here that have come before or friends that have make their move few years before and are making well here so they give it a try
8) The lack of english to try in another country or having the skill to talk in english, the disadvantage that they have in a english speaking country to compite in a profecional way and not finish cleaning the dishes (well you probably know as i knew when i went to ireland that even if you talk another language (in your case spanish) is not so easy to compite again the local speakers specially in a profecion where the correct understand of the word make a huge diferent (putting apart webdevelopment and so many others that don't need such a good local language)
9) The free university and health that they can get here
10) The posibility to work in their area of expertise get experience and have fun
11) The feeling of having a future that was imposible to find in spain now a day
12) There were other reasons but not so mentioned

Well thing is 7-8 years ago it was the other way. Both the Spanish economy up to the recession was on an unsustainable path and so is Argentina now. It could very well reverse again or at the very least, things go belly-up in Argentina soon.

I have come across numerous articles about Portuguese going to Brazil for work and especially to Angola. Strangely there is huge interest in Angolan investment in Portugal at the moment, looking at distressed state companies that the government are considering selling off to pay down debt.

I fully understand the feeling of people preferring inflation to unemployment but there is the real danger that is slowly manifesting itself in that the rate of inflation will jump significantly more than wage increases.

One question would be: With all the countries to choose from in Latin America why are Spaniards choosing Argentina?

Possible answers:
  1. Spaniards are tired of incompetent leaders and are flocking to Argentina because it is the only country on the continent with competent leadership.
Any others?

3. They aren't.

The Spanish do have a sort of fascination with Argentina - the accent, football, dulce de leche - but I'm not sure many are truly aware of the situation in Argentina until they move here. My guess would be that a lot of those Spaniards are actually dual citizens or the children of Argentine immigrants.

This chart is for 2011 I think, but it gives the idea of where Spaniards are going. A lot are staying in the EU.
http://migrationsmap.net/#/ESP/departures
It's an interesting map - allows you to look up the Portugal numbers as well - but even those numbers are a little odd. Here's the ones from Spain's INE.
http://www.ine.es/jaxi/tabla.do?path=/t20/p259/e01/l0/&file=01011.px&type=pcaxis&L=0
I believe those are simply emigration patterns without taking account the migrants nationality, but I'm not sure about that.

The Spanish do have a sort of fascination with Argentina - the accent, football, dulce de leche - but I'm not sure many are truly aware of the situation in Argentina until they move here. My guess would be that a lot of those Spaniards are actually dual citizens or the children of Argentine immigrants.

This chart is for 2011 I think, but it gives the idea of where Spaniards are going. A lot are staying in the EU.
http://migrationsmap.../ESP/departures
It's an interesting map - allows you to look up the Portugal numbers as well - but even those numbers are a little odd. Here's the ones from Spain's INE.
http://www.ine.es/ja...type=pcaxis&L=0
I believe those are simply emigration patterns without taking account the migrants nationality, but I'm not sure about that.

It's an interesting site, but the data is from 2007:

http://www.migrationdrc.org/research/typesofmigration/global_migrant_origin_database.html

Yes is not updated data, the boom in emigration according to the spanish newspapers start from 2008 to 2011, would be nice to have info of that period.

Too lazy to learn another language.
That has always depressed me when someone declares ppl should speak whatever the visitor speaks instead of adapting/adopting the natives tonge.

http://www.telegraph...-Argentina.html

Maybe Christina isn't doing such a bad job after all.

And despite everything Camberiu says, I don't see any articles about Portuguese migrating to Brazil.

This must mean Argentina is doing better than Brazil economically!

I even know of a washed up Pommy college professor that has taken refuge in Argentina.

Possible answers:
Any others?

Joe you make me laugh, all these funny absolute truisms, with no basis whatsoever, you are an "Agent Provocateur" ....!!

Well would add reasons why Spaniards are fascinated with Argentina...!!

- They want to be called Gallegos...!!
- They can Coger a taxicab or a cold :D or anything else that moves.
- They think they invented the Al-AlFahor in Moorish Al-Andaluzia
- They think that Tango was introduced by Spanish Sailors in La Boca
-
-

Mostly of the Spaniards living here and the ones that are coming in these years are in fact Argentines with the two nationalities. There were two big waves of argentines going to Spain, the first one in the dictadura and the other one in 2001. Now they re all coming back, with their families.
In my opinion Spain is now in a hard moment but that cannot compare with Argentina.
We had like 30 years of pure poverty (1975-2002) while Spain grew up every social and economic indicator. In fact, till 1975, the last year before dictatorship which was at the same time the last year of the "old" Argentina, the XXth century peronist industrialist Argentina, with the unstoppable growth 65-75, like never this country experienced again, Spain and Argentina were very similar countries from a social point of view. Furthermore, Argentina was a little better since in the 60s we have the last wave of Spanish immigration.

Back