Delay receiving new DNI.

nlaruccia

Registered
Last November I wento to Registro Nacional de las Personas to get a new DNI booklet and card and was told that it would take thirty days. After a month I went to a direction they gave me in Boedo and complained and they said the machine that makes the DNIs broke and I would have to go back to Registro Nacional de las Personas and go through the entire process again. I waited until the end of January and no DNI. I returned to make a complaint and found a line going out the door of people who were there for the same reason. I was told it should arrive in another month. Now it's almost April and no DNI has arrived from Correo Argentino.I'm curious about how many people have gone to Registro Nacional de las Personas to get a new DNI booklet and card and are still waiting for it to arrive by mail? Frankly I'm too frustrated to go back at 8am and repeat the same process for a third time.

It took me 9 months to get mine. In other words, keep waiting...

exactly my experience! one year recently we did the whole DNI process and paid extra for mail delivery. that never happened. we finally found them ca. 5 months later after we spent half a day at the Registro Nacional de las Personas. we had to go twice, the first time it wasn't there because "it was in the mail", ja ja. the second time it was there. no mail delivery had ever been attempted. the following year same thing, we never got the things in the mail after waiting 2,3,4 months. we went back to the Registro Nacional de las Personas and it was such a nightmare situation that they didn't even let us in the door. they told us to come back another day at 6am and (presumably) wait all day. we finally paid a "dispachante" a fair amount of money to go there and get them for us. (no one is supposed to be able to pick them up for you but money makes the difference.) life is too f---ing short!

It used to be that to go to RNP to check on the status of your tramite you were recommended to go after 2:00 in the afternoon when there was no cue. Maybe that has changed? Going in the early morning is a nightmare!

It used to be that to go to RNP to check on the status of your tramite you were recommended to go after 2:00 in the afternoon when there was no cue. Maybe that has changed? Going in the early morning is a nightmare!

it used to be like that, no more. all the rules change every 5 minutes! you now have to go at the crack of dawn and line up with millions. i think they give out turnos now, and i think by mid-day or earlier they have filled their limit.

that's why we paid some one to get them for us.

mariposa said:
exactly my experience! one year recently we did the whole DNI process and paid extra for mail delivery. that never happened. we finally found them ca. 5 months later after we spent half a day at the Registro Nacional de las Personas. we had to go twice, the first time it wasn't there because "it was in the mail", ja ja. the second time it was there. no mail delivery had ever been attempted. the following year same thing, we never got the things in the mail after waiting 2,3,4 months. we went back to the Registro Nacional de las Personas and it was such a nightmare situation that they didn't even let us in the door. they told us to come back another day at 6am and (presumably) wait all day. we finally paid a "dispachante" a fair amount of money to go there and get them for us. (no one is supposed to be able to pick them up for you but money makes the difference.) life is too f---ing short!

I wonder how long ago "one year recently" is? :rolleyes:

Perhaps you are referring to the Registro Nacional de las Personas on 25 de Mayo? They stopped using that location in late 2009 for those applying for the DNI. I had good luck there: applying for, receiving, and getting my DNI stamped twice (2006-2008), It took almost three hours to apply for the the DNI, less than two to pick it up (90 days later), and less than one for the renewal stamps but I know after that it got much worse. There were no appointments, people were lining up at 4 AM to get a number, and many were not allowed in.

Is the Registro de Las Personas on 25 de Mayo still the place you have to go to "pick up" your DNI if it doesn't arrive in the mail? That's not a pleasant thought. Are there so many people in this situation that it takes all day? :eek:

Late last year my friend Patricia helped two expats apply for their visas. Both received their DNIs within 60 days.

Yesterday she helped a new arrival (who received his visa in his home country) apply for his DNI. Here is a quote from a PM I received from him today:

"Thanks for sending me Patricia's number.

We have met and she has accompanied me to Migraciones. There (after some waiting) we submitted the envelope I had from the Argentinean embassy in xxxxxxxxx, a Certificado de Domicilio which I managed to obtain by myself and ARS30.

My DNI will be delivered within 60 days.

While I may (?) have got there in the end alone, it was invaluable having bilingual assistance as Patricia was able to ask the officer to enter the address to which I am moving next week for delivery instead of my certified address, and we were able to answer the officer's query about the city in which I was born.

It was also interesting to talk to her about Argentina and Uruguay while we waited."

mariposa said:
it used to be like that, no more. all the rules change every 5 minutes! you now have to go at the crack of dawn and line up with millions. i think they give out turnos now, and i think by mid-day or earlier they have filled their limit.

that's why we paid some one to get them for us.

They used to tell me to go in the afternoon, then in January they told me I would have to start going in the morning and stand in line all day. I'm not sure if it's even worth it to do that, or just wait another six months and see if it arrives in the mail.

As was discussed in http://baexpats.org/expat-life/20399-new-dni-required.html, all DNI transactions for foreigners have been transferred to Migraciones. Those applying for a DNI in conjunction with a residency visa go to Antartida, and all other trámites are handled at Yrigoyen 952, by prior turno that you request at http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?dni_extranjeros.

The process is fairly painless. I was told the document could require up to 60 days to be delivered, of which I have about 40 days left.

I wonder how long ago "one year recently" is?

Perhaps you are referring to the Registro Nacional de las Personas on 25 de Mayo? They stopped using that location in late 2009 for those applying for the DNI. I had good luck there: applying for, receiving, and getting my DNI stamped twice (2006-2008), It took almost three hours to apply for the the DNI, less than two to pick it up (90 days later), and less than one for the renewal stamps but I know after that it got much worse. There were no appointments, people were lining up at 4 AM to get a number, and many were not allowed in.

Is the Registro de Las Personas on 25 de Mayo still the place you have to go to "pick up" your DNI if it doesn't arrive in the mail? That's not a pleasant thought. Are there so many people in this situation that it takes all day?

well, very recently - last month - we paid some one to get our DNI's out of that hell of a place on av. jujuy where they had been languishing for almost a year. it is now exactly as you described the 25 de mayo location: "There were no appointments, people were lining up at 4 AM to get a number, and many were not allowed in. "

mariposa said:
well, very recently - last month - we paid some one to get our DNI's out of that hell of a place on av. jujuy where they had been languishing for almost a year. it is now exactly as you described the 25 de mayo location: "There were no appointments, people were lining up at 4 AM to get a number, and many were not allowed in. "
Could you provide more info on your situation, type of visa, and reason for requesting the new document? Are you a foreigner with a resident's visa? When and where did you apply for the document?

A friend from the US obtained his permanent resident's visa (spousal) last winter, and his document arrived by Correo a couple weeks later. I have heard similar stories from friends of friends with different types of visas.

Back