Delay receiving new DNI.

I have been reading this website with interest since I decided to move here and I have found it a great resource.

I have a few observations on the DNI process to contribute in case they are of help to some people.

I am the person Steve quoted in his earlier post and I went to an office in Hipólito Yrigoyen yesterday to apply for my DNI.

I had Patricia, whom Steve had referred me to with me to help, and an envelope which I had been given by the Argentinean Embassy when I received my rentista visa at home before I left.

We had made a turno on line on the 20th for 12 noon on the 26th, so not muchof a delay there.

Naively, I assumed a turno meant that an officer would be waiting to speak to me at 12, with my details already pulled up on his computer. In fact, we had to queue (only ten minutes at most) to get into the building, where we were given a number.

There was then a further wait, over 2 and a half hours, for our number to come up, but once our number finally came up the process was fast and efficient. The officer electronically captured my signature and fingerprints, took a photo and didn't want to keep the manual form which the Embassy had prepared with a signature, attached photo and fingerprints done with an ink pad.

There were a few questions which I was able to answer with Patricia's help and all told, we were out of the building within 15 minutes maximum of my number coming up.

Attached to the documents they gave me to take away was advice the DNI would be delivered direct to my domicilio in or within 60 days. They will try delivery twice but if unsuccessful I am to go to Registro Nacional de las Personas Ave Jujuy 468 to pick it up.

I will have to wait and see if there are the delivery issus some of you have experienced, but I am optimistic.

As part of her service, Patricia has offerred to come with me to Av Jujuy if the DNI does not arrive in the mail.

After reading Mariposa's experiences, I will certainly take advantage of that. With my extremely limited Spanish and with no experience of how things are organised here, someone to make sure you are in the right queue and to translate unexpected questions is, to me, invaluable.

As a newcomer, I haven't yet acquired the scars and horror stories which those of you who have been here longer sometimes post. I'm sure it is only a matter of time, but so far so good.

CraigH said:
I am the person Steve quoted in his earlier post and I went to an office in Hipólito Yrigoyen yesterday to apply for my DNI.

I had Patricia, whom Steve had referred me to with me to help, and an envelope which I had been given by the Argentinean Embassy when I received my rentista visa at home before I left.
As part of her service, Patricia has offerred to come with me to Av Jujuy if the DNI does not arrive in the mail.

After reading Mariposa's experiences, I will certainly take advantage of that. With my extremely limited Spanish and with no experience of how things are organised here, someone to make sure you are in the right queue and to translate unexpected questions is, to me, invaluable.

I didn't even have a visa when I first met Patricia. She was conducting Herbalife inteviews on the sidewalk in front of my Argentine girlfriend's and my attorney's office (the gf insisted I use him). Patricia and I had a great conversation in English and I told her what I was doing regarding migraciones. She told me she was from Uruguay and understood the problems at migraciones and to call her if I ever needed help.

I didn't call her for over a month, but I did when it was clear my attorney didn't know anything about getting a visa for a foreigner. She went to migraciones with me twice to apply for the visa as well as for the first renewal. And she still only charges $200USD for one or two trips...and it almost always takes two.

I wrote earlier that last November I went to Registro Nacional de las Personas to ask for a new dni booklet and card. I'm a permanent resident and my dni booklet is getting very old. It was supposed to arrive by mail in 30 days and didn't. When I went back and complained they said the machine that makes the booklets had broken. I applied once more. In January after it still not arriving I returned to R.N.D.L.P. and complained again, and they took my photo and finger prints all over again. Now it's almost May and still no dni. I was thinking about going back and complaining again until a Uruguayan told me that she got her new dni booklet and card directly from imigraciones in Retiro. Has anyone had more success getting a new one in imigraciones than in R.N.D.L.P?

My friend and I came here under the same conditions working for the same company. We arrived last November. I got my residency on January and my DNI in March... His is still under production according to the website. I think I got lucky.

Could you provide more info on your situation, type of visa, and reason for requesting the new document? Are you a foreigner with a resident's visa? When and where did you apply for the document?

foreigner, temporary DNI which has to be renewed once a year. used to have to do this at migraciones, now on hippolito yrigoyen.

I applied for my DNI on the 10 of February. The process was smooth and the only time I had to wait around for a long time was when they had to correct my place of birth (which pissed me off since the embassy made a big deal about getting my birth certificate properly attested and all that junk). They told me that I will get the DNI in 30-60 days and gave an address (Av. Jujuy 468) where I should go if I don't get it.

Well, I still haven't gotten the DNI. The only thing I have been doing is checking the website. It does not seem like it is going to arrive anytime soon. I don't know how Argentines have so much time running after paperwork. I am studying and don't have time to be running after the freaking DNI.

In May I intend to start my citizenship process (I came here on a spouse/resident visa), I have a feeling I will get the citizenship before I get the damn DNI Extranjeros.

They told me that I will get the DNI in 30-60 days and gave an address (Av. Jujuy 468) where I should go if I don't get it.

they always tell you that ("I will get the DNI in 30-60 days"), it's simply not true. and Av. Jujuy 468 is exactly that place from hell that everybody in this thread is talking about. (get in line at 6am, etc etc). i think i'd rather shoot myself before i'd ever go back there. this is why we finally paid a dispachante to retrieve them.

mariposa said:
they always tell you that ("I will get the DNI in 30-60 days"), it's simply not true. and Av. Jujuy 468 is exactly that place from hell that everybody in this thread is talking about. (get in line at 6am, etc etc). i think i'd rather shoot myself before i'd ever go back there. this is why we finally paid a dispachante to retrieve them.

Yup! But as I said, I am not going to bother chasing after a stupid document that the government here can't streamline the process to obtain.

I have better, more important things to do with my life at this point than chase after the DNI.

Hi, we applied for our children's DNI's on March 9th this year (they were born in Spain, we are Argentine). I got both DNIs yesterday.

I am surprised at the speed (40 days!) and the cheap quality of the DNI... the emblem on the cover is off-center and my daughter's face looks like she got it taken at one of those funny mirrors...

Back