Delivery Tips

I have a friend whose son is a student and works for Carrefour doing delivery full time. He is on the lowest rung of "empleados de comercio". Monthly salary for 48hr work week is $1,975 and about $500 in tips from deliveries.

2-4 pesos , but I'm Scottish.

My Argentinian girlfriend gets upset and says I shouldn't leave anything.

Davidglen77 said:
I have a friend whose son is a student and works for Carrefour doing delivery full time. He is on the lowest rung of "empleados de comercio". Monthly salary for 48hr work week is $1,975 and about $500 in tips from deliveries.

Doesn't sound bad. He lives at home.

glasgowjohn said:
My Argentinian girlfriend gets upset and says I shouldn't leave anything.

It's no wonder some Argentines don't work hard or are on "holiday" every other week. There's no damn incentive here.

LAtoBA said:
It's no wonder some Argentines don't work hard or are on "holiday" every other week. There's no damn incentive here.

My g-f works a 60 hour week - her argument is that no one gives her tips in her job and that employers should pay the wages of delivery workers given that we pay a fee for them to deliver the stuff - really cant argue with that

glasgowjohn said:
My g-f works a 60 hour week - her argument is that no one gives her tips in her job and that employers should pay the wages of delivery workers given that we pay a fee for them to deliver the stuff - really cant argue with that

Interesting. I was always under the assumption delivery from Jumbo and Coto was free. Is this not the case?

As someone who's been a waiter and delivery boy in a past life I always shake my head at that logic. That argument is a common one, even in the states, so no difference there.

But my point wasn't to get on your girlfriend rather it was to make a larger point, that lackluster service and slow waiters are inevitable in Argentina--wages are low, while at the same time the population does nothing to incentivize better service, harder work ethic etc, through tipping.

Back