Democrats Abroad In Argentina For Bernie Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Janis,

Very little will ever get done until we reform our broken and corrupt campaign finance system. I hear about it everyday. The economic and political systems in this country are stacked against ordinary Americans. The rich get richer and use their wealth to buy elections.

Today is the sixth-year anniversary of Citizens United, one of the most disastrous Supreme Court decisions in my lifetime. This decision hinges on the absurd notion that money is speech, that corporations are people, and that giving huge piles of undisclosed cash in support of politicians in exchange for influence does not constitute corruption.

In essence, this ruling handed millionaires and billionaires — who have already rigged our economy — unlimited influence in our elections. It gave billionaires like the Koch Brothers an even bigger opportunity to purchase the House, the Senate, even the White House.

Super PACs — a direct outgrowth of the Citizens United decision — are enabling the wealthiest people and the largest corporations in this country to spend unlimited amounts on elections.

We know, for example, that the Koch brothers, the second wealthiest family in America, want to use the Citizens United decision to buy politicians across the country. This election cycle alone, they have committed to spend at least $750 million on political activities — an outrageous sum that is corrupting our political process. And I can assure you, brothers and sisters, they won’t be spending that money with the interests of working families, women, and seniors in mind. That is simply unacceptable, and it’s time for the American people to rise up and reclaim our democracy.

Let’s be honest and acknowledge what we are talking about. We are talking about a rapid movement in this country towards a political system in which a handful of very wealthy people and special interests will determine who gets elected or who does not get elected. That is not what this country is supposed to be about. That was not Abraham Lincoln’s vision of a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

The need for real campaign finance reform is not a progressive issue. It is not a conservative issue. It is an American issue. It is an issue that should concern all Americans, regardless of their political point of view, who wish to preserve the essence of the longest standing democracy in the world — a government that represents all of the people and not a handful of powerful and wealthy special interests.

Our campaign is doing so well because we are telling the truth about the reality of American life today. We are talking about a reality in which most of the new wealth and income in this country are going to the top one percent while working families are struggling more than at any point since the Great Depression.

My vision for American democracy is a nation in which all people, regardless of their income, can participate in the political process, and can run for office without begging for contributions from the wealthy and the powerful. While other politicians will make you the same promise, I am the only candidate running for the Democratic nomination who does not have a super PAC. And I am the only one who is telling the truth about the corrupting influence of Wall Street bankers and the obscenely wealthy in our elections.

We have to create a political revolution where working Americans come together to say they have had ENOUGH of the billionaire class buying our elections to enrich themselves while everyone else gets poorer. More than ever, we need a president who has a firm commitment to the American people — and no one else.

With less than two weeks until the Iowa caucus, I need your help to win this election and reclaim our democracy. Can you pitch in now to fuel our political revolution before voting begins?

Our vision for democracy should be one in which candidates are speaking to the vast majority of our people – working people, the middle class, low-income people, the elderly, the children, the sick, and the poor – and discussing with them their ideas as to how we can improve lives for all people in this country.

I believe this vision of American can be a reality once again. We just have to do something unprecedented in the coming months — defy the odds and win the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.

I am glad you are standing with us.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

The Supreme Court guaranteed a woman's right to choose in the Roe v. Wade decision 43 years ago today. This was a tremendous step to protect women's health and to affirm their control of their own bodies.

Unfortunately, since the Roe v. Wade decision, extreme right-wing politicians in states have made it more and more difficult for women to actually access abortion care, aided in many cases by the federal Hyde Amendment and other anti-abortion policies. Nearly a quarter of these restrictions have come in the last five years. This is unacceptable.

The extreme right-wing works tirelessly to make it more difficult for women to access reproductive health care. Republicans in office work to shut down clinics while extremists terrorize health care providers and their patients. Making women travel hundreds of miles, wait weeks for an appointment and face harassment at the clinic door is a national disgrace.

So today, on the anniversary of this important Supreme Court decision, we must affirm not only the right to have an abortion, but we must protect the right to access a doctor or clinic who can perform that procedure.

We are not going back to the days when women had to risk their lives to end an unwanted pregnancy. The decision about abortion must remain a decision for a woman and her doctor to make, not the government.

We are not going to allow the extreme right-wing to defund Planned Parenthood, we are going to expand it. Planned Parenthood provides vital healthcare services for millions of people, who rely on its clinics every year for affordable, quality health care services including cancer prevention, STI and HIV testing and general primary health care services. The current attempt to malign Planned Parenthood is part of a long-term smear campaign by people who want to deny women in this country the right to control their own bodies.

We are not going back to the days when women did not have full access to birth control. Incredibly, almost all of the Republicans in Congress are in favor of giving any employer who provides health insurance, or any insurance company, the ability to deny coverage for contraception or any other kind of procedure if the employer had a “moral” objection to it. That is unacceptable.

Under my administration, we will protect and expand the fundamental rights of women to control their own bodies. I promise to only nominate Supreme Court Justices who support Roe v. Wade. Our Medicare-for-all plan would cover reproductive health care, including abortion, because all health care is a right, not a privilege. And I would work to repeal the federal Hyde Amendment, which currently restricts the federal government from spending any money on abortion care. That is wrong, and it will be abolished when I am president.

Add your name to mine if you agree we must expand access to reproductive health care and protect Roe v. Wade.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

Live Stream with Bernie Sanders at 8:00PM BA Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXrZKsR17M

Bernie Sanders: Bold Leadership (1992)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2N6YizDRXc

Grassroots for Bernie Sanders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=645mtthz8Io

Bernie Sanders: Iowa Town Hall Meeting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKwEbI9s-XI

6 Responses to Bernie Skeptics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfIhonVoFSg

Top 10 Reasons why Bernie Sanders May Actually Become President
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLA6WdYzQwg

Michael Moore's endorsement letter of Bernie Sanders
http://michaelmoore.com/MyEndorsementOfBernie/

Janis -

When I think about what happened last night, I think the people of Iowa sent a very profound message to the political establishment, to the economic establishment, and to the media establishment.

And what that message said was that given the enormous crises facing our country, it is too late for establishment politics and economics in this country. That we can no longer continue to have a corrupt campaign finance system. And that this moment in our history requires us to think big.

I am overwhelmed and moved by the fact that millions of people throughout the country made last night possible, and that we were able to do it without begging millionaires for money, and without a super PAC. We are going to win this campaign or we are going to lose, but we are going to do it together. And we can’t let up now.

If last night proved anything, it’s that every single contribution matters and every volunteer shift can swing an election.

In this campaign, and in the White House, I cannot do it alone. No candidate and no president will be able to bring about the changes working families and the middle class of this country deserve without a major grassroots movement. The powers that be, Wall Street with their endless supply of money, corporate America, the large campaign donors are so powerful no president can do what has to be done by him or herself.

This moment requires a political revolution that has millions of people coming together, including those who have given up on the political process, saying they have had ENOUGH of the billionaire class buying our democracy.

What we proved last night, what we are proving in this campaign, and what we will prove again next week is what we have said all along: when we stand together, anything is possible.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back