Dentist - Should I Go Or Should I Wait?

That's 1/4 of Seattle, USA prices. And, he does REALLY good work.
Nancy

I have all my bills from 2008-2012 for a lot of different dental work and surgery done by Dr. Pelcman including about 7 implants with crowns. In 2007, I paid $US550 for each implant INCLUDING its crown. By 2009, his fee for these increased by $US50 to $US600 for each implant and its crown. By 2011, it was costing me about $US 800.

Very surprised to hear that he is now charging $US 1,600 for each implant and crown. Uh, oh. Of course, it's always better to learn first-hand from a dentist what his fees are. But I appreciate very much 'Fangar's' telling us what he paid.

I had an implant done with Dr. Pelcman one year ago. It cost 600 USD for the implant and 550 USD for the crown (there were other charges for Xrays and an extraction that added to the cost as well). I heard many good things about him from this sight, but I did not have a good experience with him or his son. I found the office completely chaotic and the dentists and staff very unfriendly and overworked, among other issues.

I had an implant done with Dr. Pelcman one year ago. It cost 600 USD for the implant and 550 USD for the crown (there were other charges for Xrays and an extraction that added to the cost as well). I heard many good things about him from this sight, but I did not have a good experience with him or his son. I found the office completely chaotic and the dentists and staff very unfriendly and overworked, among other issues.

I'm glad to hear what you paid. Some of the prices I quoted are wrong. Your prices make way more sense. Mine included extra surgeries - commercial bone grafts, bone spreading and sinus lifts that are included in the prices I gave. (These surgeries were necessary, not cosmetic.) These surgeries go for roughly $US1000 each in North America as any of you who've had a dental bone graft there knows. My implants often involved one or other of those surgeries, or two.)

I'm shocked to hear that you had problems with Dr. Pelcman and his office. That's a shame. I've suffered long wait times sometimes there but I wouldn't go to anybody else but him so I'm very patient. (I moved to France since then and am using a big-city dentist. I haven't the money yet to stay in in BA because I'm living on retirement income. Otherwise, I'd be going to BA for 12 weeks which I sorely want and put myself in Dr. Pelcman's care again.)

People from all over Europe and the Americas have him as their implant and crown dentist. His technicians are very highly trained. He appreciates them. With him, you get a hand-made crown, not one off the rack re-modelled. He has improved many people's lives tremendously, mine included. His practice serves both portenos and foreigners. Some of the patient care he gave me was so good that my own doctors at home were stunned. Plus, restorative things they said were impossible to do, he did without finding them difficult. When a dental practice in California has a patient with a problem that they cannot solve, Dr. Pelcman is on call to fly there to deal with that patient and fix his problem. He's qualified in BA and California.

His implants are made by Parke-Davis, NY, not in Argentina.

Btw, whether an implant is made in the US or Switzerland or France, they're ALL equally good. You would not believe how little one costs when it's sold to dentists -wherever they're made (outside Arg, if any are even made there!). It's almost nothing. Don't let any dentist fool you by saying he uses the 'best' brand of implants. 'Best' means the best for your particular dental situation, that's all. My French dentist in a top area of town uses an US brand.

The only thing you have to ensure when you have an implant and crown done is that you have both done in the same country. The reason for this is that BA, North America, Brazil and different European countries each have their own way. Some put the pin onto the crown. Others have the pin attached to the implant. That's saying it non-technically, very roughly - just to warn you and give you an idea. Which way used makes no difference functionally but an implant and crown must be compatible, match. A dentist in one country can't crown an implant done in another country unless he has in his hand the crown made by the dentist in that country to insert after a patient's foreign implant surgery heals over 3 or more months back home. Most dentists don't know any other country's method and conclude ignorantly that all other methods than that used in their own country is weird, even perverse.

I have implants done in 3 countries. All of them work and are fine, touch wood. One implant bridge is nearly 20 years old. More important is what happens to the bone in your mouth as you age: is it still holding the implant firmly, ie.

Last December in Bogota I spent at least 40 hours in the dental chair of my sister-in-law's ex, a dentist. I had extensive work done - following years in the military at duty stations not close to dental care. I paid about 1/3 of what I would have in the states.

That's 1/4 of Seattle, USA prices. And, he does REALLY good work.
Nancy

Don't disagree but I don't live in Seattle. ;) I got quoted 5000 pesos for an implant about a year ago, that's why I was so shocked hearing 25,000 pesos. I'm sure he's good but those prices seem to be targeted towards expats.

citygirl,

5000 pesos is about $US525 at OFFICIAL exchange rate. North American dentists have been charging between $US5,000 and $US7,000 for one implant and its crown. They also charge about $US300 for the panoramic x-ray needed before treatment begins. (Dr. Pelcman charges zero for this.)

I wish so much that I could switch places with you (your home for mine) this second for the next 4 months + my return airfare to BA, please. That would let me have some disposable cash for a change if I could just see Dr Pelcman again rather than paying dentists outside Arg. Implants and crowns here in France (and in the UK) cost 1/3 less than in North America and they're still horrendously expensive. An hour by train from me in Italy it's about 10% less expensive than in France. But the price in Argentina is a whole lot less than even in Romania, India, Hungary and China where people also go for implants because they just haven't a hope of being able to pay for even one in North America where I used to live.

I personally have watched a portena pay for her implant and crown the exact same price that I did. This dentist never rips off anyone. He doesn't need to work for money, frankly. He has done over 20, 000 implants. He concentrates on how he can make the best tooth for this or that patient . That's the most important thing to him. He cares only about providing the very best quality of work. He's also a truly great person, period.

I got a root canal done here a couple of years ago (2011?) for 80 Canadian dollars.
The same procedure would have cost 800 dollars in Canada.
Unfortunately, my Argentinian rootbcanal was not properly done and got infected and I had to get it redone in Canada. :-(
Luckily, my Canadian insurance company paid..

I got a root canal done here a couple of years ago (2011?) for 80 Canadian dollars.
The same procedure would have cost 800 dollars in Canada.
Unfortunately, my Argentinian rootbcanal was not properly done and got infected and I had to get it redone in Canada. :-(
Luckily, my Canadian insurance company paid..

Every country has good and bad dentists.

You get "what you paid for".

Its not compulsory that every dentist from Canada or Argentina is perfect and can not make a mistake.

Every country has good and bad dentists.

You get "what you paid for".

Its not compulsory that every dentist from Canada or Argentina is perfect and can not make a mistake.

You're right Ceviche. I realize that my personal singular experience is not necessarily indicative of the quality of care in Argentina and that there is a chance that the same thing might have happened in Canada.

Back