Dentist with Medicus

Ba Hairdresser

Registered
Hi folks , I hope some one can help me urgently.
I have just returned from a Dentist recommended by Medicas. They have told me that i need a root canal , although my tooth is not sore, however, never having anything urgent needed before i'm not sure what i'm meant to be feeling. Anyhow, a friend has just told me to get a second opinion as this may not be needed. Therefore any recommendations would be appreciated. I also want a English speaking Dentist , so that there is no lost in translation. I'm mega nervous already
Thanks in advance

I can't recommend any dentist first hand but I'm interested that you don't appear to have the classic symptoms which would be cured by root canal work and your friend thinks you should get a second opinion.

The three reasons I'm aware of for root canal work (and I'm not a dentist, just a patient who's had root canal jobs before) are that you have an infection deep in the tooth; that the nerves in the tooth have become unstable and are causing you pain (not necessarily pain in that actual tooth since the nerves can fire off signals that mislead the brain about the source of the pain) or in preparation for cosmetic dentistry such as a crown. If you don't have a resistant infection and your mouth is not in pain and you haven't asked for a tooth to be crowned then I'd definitely go for a second opinion before having a non-reversible treatment like that.

I agree with elhombresinnombre. If you are not in pain, I would be suspicious. I can recommend a dentist if you like, speaks English too. I went to a dentist in Palermo a few years ago. They did good work but were too root canal crazy in my opinion. What's the name you went to? Maybe it's the same one.

Hi Thanks
My tooth has broken very low down , so maybe I will need a crown as elhombresinnombre has suggested. I'm a total baby when it comes to Dentists and never had anything big done before.

Ptolemy if your dentist accepts Medicus I would love the recommendation, thanks

Thank-you all so much for taking the time to explain every experience etc to me
i'm just very very nervous and terrified that if i don;t have a English speaker something could be lost in translation.

Best T.

Sounds like you were not told why you needed a root canal, not whether the dentist is planning to offer you a crown or other option. So just this is already a major communication problem. There are various options in crowns which affect cost, appearance, life of the crown, etc. So all these things are normally discussed in a treatment plan that the dentist gives price estimates for etc. before any treatment starts.

If you have no pain (when you put cold water on the broken tooth) then my guess is that nothing is urgent, so you can take your time - meaning months - to find a dentist who is recommended by several people who have had the procedure. If your broken tooth starts to give you pain then the exposed nerve (this is what causes pain when a tooth breaks) can be covered by a temporary filling until you are ready for the restorative work - again no reason to hurry any decision.

I have an excellent dentist but her practice is in Martinez. She speaks perfect English and practiced in the UK. I am completely phobic and she is the only dentist I have ever felt comfortable with, to the extent she managed to remove a wisdom tooth without me noticing! Let me know if you want her details.

Back