Developing Story: LATAM Argentina will permanently cease operations

Lan is free to leave after paying debts, among others, with the workers, because they must be compensated according with the ban of layoffs.
I guess the point is that the airplanes most likely do not belong to LATAM (normally they are leased) .

But why worry about such legal technicalities? Expropraiate these things and share the proceeds 50/50 between sindicatos and the government members. And for the employees organize a big asado. Everyone is happy.

https://www.infobae.com/opinion/202...atalla-a-latam-y-perdio-el-turismo-argentino/

• LATAM has endured political sabotage attempts since its beginning in Argentina
  • In 2012 ANAC (lead by Alejando Granados of La Cámpora, son of Ezeiza mayor) denied permission to incorporate a new aircraft
  • In 2013 ORSNA (lead by people affiliated with La Cámpora) ordered them to vacate their hangar at AEP as the company was expanding into international routes from Argentina, making further new competition to AR
  • In 2013 the state run ramp services monopoly, Intercargo (lead by María Cecilia García of La Cámpora) also boycotted LATAM because it refused to pay "surcharges" that were not being demanded of other airlines
  • When the government changed to Macri a slew of emails surfaced to show that numerous K officials received earlier bribes in the form of false "consulting contracts" paid by the then LAN to K officials in order for it to have the signature of the then minister of transport Jaime (who is now in prison for numerous acts of corruption and bribery) to be given permission to start operations in Argentina
  • Fast forward - LATAM asks for union and government consensus to pay employees a reduced salary during this time and is denied despite the terms it was seeking being afforded to other airlines including Aerolineas, creating a major and fatal disadvantage
________

To me, what this points to is a company that since its start in Argentina has cleaned up its act as it has undergone massive changes/ international mergers and been listed on the stock exchange and is no longer able to get away paying the bribes demanded of the officials in place today who are accustomed to "doing business the old way." where, for example, everyone knows that a "fast tracked" ATP costs $10k. One can only imagine the price for getting the famous "consensus" to agree to a 25% salary reduction for an international company that is "an enemy of the movement". Hence it was dealt its death blow.

https://www.infobae.com/opinion/202...atalla-a-latam-y-perdio-el-turismo-argentino/

• LATAM has endured political sabotage attempts since its beginning in Argentina
  • In 2012 ANAC (lead by Alejando Granados of La Cámpora, son of Ezeiza mayor) denied permission to incorporate a new aircraft
  • In 2013 ORSNA (lead by people affiliated with La Cámpora) ordered them to vacate their hangar at AEP as the company was expanding into international routes from Argentina, making further new competition to AR
  • In 2013 the state run ramp services monopoly, Intercargo (lead by María Cecilia García of La Cámpora) also boycotted LATAM because it refused to pay "surcharges" that were not being demanded of other airlines
  • When the government changed to Macri a slew of emails surfaced to show that numerous K officials received earlier bribes in the form of false "consulting contracts" paid by the then LAN to K officials in order for it to have the signature of the then minister of transport Jaime (who is now in prison for numerous acts of corruption and bribery) to be given permission to start operations in Argentina
  • Fast forward - LATAM asks for union and government consensus to pay employees a reduced salary during this time and is denied despite the terms it was seeking being afforded to other airlines including Aerolineas, creating a major and fatal disadvantage
________

To me, what this points to is a company that since its start in Argentina has cleaned up its act as it has undergone massive changes/ international mergers and been listed on the stock exchange and is no longer able to get away paying the bribes demanded of the officials in place today who are accustomed to "doing business the old way." where, for example, everyone knows that a "fast tracked" ATP costs $10k. One can only imagine the price for getting the famous "consensus" to agree to a 25% salary reduction for an international company that is "an enemy of the movement". Hence it was dealt its death blow.
Although the peronist roots and links with Mussolini and Nazis are well known, I wouldnt describe them as Nazis. Still, when I hear of la Campora, always Hitlerjugend comes to my mind. Fanatic and stupid as f**k.
I wonder when these idiots will start organizing torchlight marches through 9 de Julio

http://www.aviacionnews.com/2020/06...ra-de-un-b737-para-la-fuerza-aerea-argentina/

So despite having no money to help LATAM or their employees (and many other things) as well as already having a state owned airline with the majority of its fleet grounded and available to charter - our responsible government has issued another decree to purchase a new 737 for the airforce, of course due to COVID. A new Tango 01 - we all know how much these kinds of governments like riding around in private jets rather than be subjected to sitting in a chartered AR 737 with such common and tightly packed seats inside (which could also be removed for special cargo or air ambulance ops - like so so so many commercial airlines and countries have done during the pandemic.)

Last edited:
Macri flew commercial throughout his mandate. But then, he had international prestige, and no need to impress anyone.

Macri flew commercial throughout his mandate. But then, he had international prestige, and no need to impress anyone.

In all reality, Macri has .NEVER. had .ANY. prestige .ANYWHERE....since his teenage years he has just been tolerated and exploited as a rich wimp.....working his way up to rich incompetent wimp....Pratt-Gay was his prodigy....when they didn't have any more of Argentina's money to spread around, they were no longer of any use......lots of stories in the financial communities about '' little Mauricio''......none that established ''prestige''.

In all reality, Macri has .NEVER. had .ANY. prestige .ANYWHERE....since his teenage years he has just been tolerated and exploited as a rich wimp.....working his way up to rich incompetent wimp....Pratt-Gay was his prodigy....when they didn't have any more of Argentina's money to spread around, they were no longer of any use......lots of stories in the financial communities about '' little Mauricio''......none that established ''prestige''.
GOODNESS....SUCH...PASSION.....

I beg to differ - he had had international prestige, and was a much welcome improvement after the embarrassingly boorish Cristina.

Mendoza Tourism Board fears the impact of the potential decrease of Chilean incoming tourists, as well as other connecting via Bs. As. LATAM had 24 % of the domestic traffic, no existing airline has the capacity to absorb this volume of traffic.

I would suggest that Macri was more warmly received abroad and helped to improve the image of Argentina abroad. I would however agree with the description of “rich incompetent wimp” - he was a terrible leader who invoked an eye-roll effect on many voters and always stopped short of fully
implementing or pushing real changes on a lot of fronts.

In his favor, one of his first moves was to get rid of the Tango-01 757, kitted out with Gold by Menem and used by Cristina to shuttle the daily newspapers and her kids down to Rio Gallegos at a cost millions of dollars a month. Now it seems that momma’s gonna get a swish new ride after all.

Back