Diego Maradona and Dubai

LostinBA said:
Yes, to tell you the truth, I'm assuming they're polite. Never been there so don't really know. You lived there correct?

Yeah I did.

There are polite people there of course as there are in all countries of the world. But the society as a whole, especially the citizens of the country are not known for being polite.

Driving is crazy, people don't have any manners or respect for others while walking in the malls, immigration and government officials are rude. Then there's huge racism levels generally accepted as normal in the society there.

To be honest, no matter how much I rail against the Argentine society, Buenos Aires's rudeness is way mellow when compared to Dubai.

There are laws that force people to be generally polite, like cussing is illegal. And so is flipping someone off.

But like I said, there are polite people there as well, as there are here, it just depends on what kind of crowd you mingle with.

The crowd that Maradona mingled with was certainly not polite. Like the supporters of an opposing team hurling insults at his wife a couple of months ago. Of course the police didn't step in there even though what the crowd did was illegal...but then, they were Emiratis.

EDIT: Like I always tell people, Dubai is a great place to visit for about a week...expensive, but worth it. Living there is a different matter. If you want a place that is great in terms of both visiting and living there and looks like Dubai (or rather, Dubai looks like it), then go to Singapore.

Back