Digital nomad visa questions

I think the digital nomad visa is what I am looking for since I am a remote worker. I have been here in BsAs for one month now, I am going to use the extension after 3 months and consider applying at the end of the 5th month.
1-) Any thoughts on this?
2-) If I follow this path do I have to leave the country and re-enter after 180 days even though I have this new visa?
I think the most crucial aspect of the "digital nomad" visa will be the tax liabilities

When the "digital nomad" visa was first proposed by CABA the tax liabilities for the first six months were not excesive, but would have become oppresive if the visa was extended for six months.

I have yet to see the conditions of the national version of the visa. Hopefully, the rules will not incude transferring the funds earned aboad to an Argentine bank account and pesifying them at the official rate. If they do, that wil probably be a deal breaker for some, if not many.

If you do get the digital nomad visa while the etension of your tourist visa is valid you will not have to leave and re-enter the country, and even if you applied for and got the digital nomad visa after you overstayed your tourist visa or its extension, you would not have to leave and re-enter the country.

If you do get the digital nomad visa while the etension of your tourist visa is valid you will not have to leave and re-enter the country, and even if you applied for and got the digital nomad visa after you overstayed your tourist visa or its extension, you would not have to leave and re-enter the country.

Thank you, Steve, this is really helpful, again!

I have yet to see the conditions of the national version of the visa. Hopefully, the rules will not incude transferring the funds earned aboad to an Argentine bank account and pesifying them at the official rate. If they do, that wil probably be a deal breaker for some, if not many.

It will be definitely a deal-breaker, at least for me. My plan is to keep the funds in a US bank but of course, I am OK with paying tax here (I do not know "how" for now).

I was looking for a solution to extend my stay in Argentina 1 month ago, and I believe this is a good solution for people like me (remote workers for a company in the US or other countries). After what you have said, my plan is more clear 3 months + 3 months and then apply for this visa at the end of this period and the requirements for this visa will be clear as well, I hope.

Thanks again!

These threads are really incredible. Is the last update that this bulletin (https://www.boletinoficial.gob.ar/detalleAviso/primera/262282/20220511) was released? Does this mean that:

1. Digital Nomad visas are currently open for application.

2. People here are still discussing the requirements and haven't seen the conditions... is the only way to find those out to go through the application process and report back (I'm likely to do this in the next 2 months if the application is open)? Or is the expectation that information will be officially released?

3. It sounds like they scrapped this last time they tried it, is there still a risk of that happening again or is this process much further along.
Based on your advice elsewhere, Steve, I plan to contact ArgentinaResidency.com and can report back if there are new details available.

4. I see the question asked, but not quite answered. If you work for your own Single-Member LLC and take on short-term contracts with various companies, are you eligible?

5. Separately, as a business owner, could somebody establish an office here, start building a team of Argentinian software developers, and apply for an ordinary work visa?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Working remotely, I receive my salary in bitcoin(BTC). First of all, I'm thinking of coming to Argentina for 90 days(tourist visa) and then settling for a long time. After 90 days, I got information from the group about entering and leaving Uruguay and visa extension through the immigration office. The question I want to ask is:
If there are people who make a living with BTC or crypto money, how can they get their money physically? I'm looking for help from someone who knows about this.
Also, is it possible for me to apply for a temporary residence permit (1 year) by documenting this btc income?
Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

Hi everyone,
Working remotely, I receive my salary in bitcoin(BTC). First of all, I'm thinking of coming to Argentina for 90 days(tourist visa) and then settling for a long time. After 90 days, I got information from the group about entering and leaving Uruguay and visa extension through the immigration office. The question I want to ask is:
If there are people who make a living with BTC or crypto money, how can they get their money physically? I'm looking for help from someone who knows about this.
Also, is it possible for me to apply for a temporary residence permit (1 year) by documenting this btc income?

The key is having a DNI. If you have a DNI it is straightforward to get money in or out at the blue rate through: send your money to Binance, convert it to a stable coin as USDT, send it to Mercado Pago (or the other way around).

There are a lot of videos that explain you how to do it on YouTube, e.g.

The problem is you need a DNI to open an account on Mercado Pago. As a tourist, you won't have a DNI. I am spending regularly time in Argentina as a tourist and I do not have Mercado Pago because I have no DNI.

The way I do it is either bring some cash and convert it in a cueva (cuevas are easy to find in calle Florida) or either go the Western Union or Xoom route.

It's good to point out that the nomad visa is "residencia transitoria", de facto and de jure under the same umbrella as the tourist visa category. It does not fall under the temporaria category.
Seems a simple by pass to the abuse of the tourist visa and no more. I see no gain.

Hi everyone,
If you want to stay longer, you can renew the entry permit i-94 at the immigration building. Do not do border runs, they are illegals in Argentina. But if you overstay you are not illegal and just pay a fine when you leave. If you plan a long term stay, apply for citizenship as soon as you arrive and then the immigration law is not enforceable to you.

I recently received a job offer for a company that are happy for me to work in Argentina. I plan to come in a few months and stay for around 12 weeks.

Is it a better idea for me to enter with a tourist visa or to apply for the digital nomad visa? Does anyone know what the turnaround on a digital nomad visa would be? i.e. if I applied 2 weeks before flying out to Argentina would this be problematic?

What excha ge rate do you get for usdt to Mercado pago from coin base? Where can I find this info?

Back