Digital nomad visa questions

Yaelie

Registered
Hi all,
I've been reading up a lot about various visa options and my head is spinning.
I work remotely for a Canadian company earning more than the 2200usd requirements for a Rentista visa but from what I understand, this type of visa is only granted for basically anything except a job abroad.
Someone suggested getting a student visa based on university Spanish courses but the I read elsewhere that your time spent on a student visa doesn't count towards a permanent residency (which is the ultimate goal)
Also if it was that easy then why do so many expats live on visa runs and overstays?
Do I have any other options for a temporary residency permit?
Also can anyone recommend a good immigration consultant that doesn't cost a fortune? I currently don't speak Spanish.
Any help would be much appreciated!

I work remotely for a Canadian company earning more than the 2200usd requirements for a Rentista visa but from what I understand, this type of visa is only granted for basically anything except a job abroad.

The visa rentista is "only granted" to those who can demonstrate a stable and passive foreign income.

Someone suggested getting a student visa based on university Spanish courses but the I read elsewhere that your time spent on a student visa doesn't count towards a permanent residency (which is the ultimate goal)

As far as I know, this is correct. Permanent residency is still (at least in theory) possible if you marry an Argentine woman.

Also if it was that easy then why do so many expats live on visa runs and overstays?

Not many expats are doing the visa runs now, though one trip is apparently still OK. Those who overstay more than twice are more likely than ever not to be given a third opportunity to reenter the country.

Do I have any other options for a temporary residency permit?

Employment in Argentina by a company that is registered with migraciones to hire foreigners to do the job.

Also can anyone recommend a good immigration consultant that doesn't cost a fortune? I currently don't speak Spanish. Any help would be much appreciated!

You don't need to pay an immigration consultant. All of your questions will be answered here at no cost.

Last edited:
I should specify that I have no intention to work for an Argentine company, I'm keeping my current Canadian job.
I'm also not going to marry anyone for a visa, I was asking about a student visa.
I also wish to go through a consultant, I'm not going to do this on my own, if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!
Based on the replies it looks like other than marriage I have no way to get a temp permit....

Last edited:
Yeah, the visa run is not really a viable option anymore. It is probably safer these days to just overstay until a time you want to leave and just pay the cost when you leave. I did this for several years. However, the situation is changing in general here and no advice can be deemed solid regarding overstays. I agree with Steve re the consultant, I don't see what one would offer you.

I should specify that I have no intention to work for an Argentine company, I'm keeping my current Canadian job.
I'm also not going to marry anyone for a visa, I was asking about a student visa.
I also wish to go through a consultant, I'm not going to do this on my own, if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!
Based on the replies it looks like other than marriage I have no way to get a temp permit....

As the stated goal is permanent residency and you are not going to marry to get one, you could consider Argentine citizenship (which you may be able to apply for after one year in Argentina).

You won't be able to do that on your own and you should plan on spending at least six thousand dollars (paid to a lawyer) to get (50% to apply for) it..

What about getting a student visa if I took Spanish classes? Could I get permanent residency after 3 years?

Hi! Also interested in options.
Similar situation - working remotely with clients around the world and not planning on getting the local job. Thinking to stay in Argentina for 6+ months (or might be really long if we like it there)
Not really interested in permanent residency, but in citizenship opportunity.

Few questions:
1. Is it just one year to get a chance to apply? what is the possible success rate?
2. Will the time spent on student visa be counted?
3. Is it possible to get a student visa after entering the country as tourist?

Thanks!

1. You can apply when you want but is not going to be process or granted at the second year. It is important to apply ASAP because it protects you from arrest for deportacion.
2. It counts sin you have a step in Argentina.
3. Yes but risky. If your application gets rejected you get a deportation order.

Back