Digital nomad visa questions

Hm.

Isn't it possible to start the process of citizenship on a student visa or even to continue to come and go on a tourist visa?

Only on the narrow issue of presence in Argentina (ie. not touching on the language, etc):

1. Citizenship in an Argentine court depends on your meeting the physical presence requirements;
2. A person can meet the physical presence requirements by many means, including (a) legal presence such as a rentista visa, a DNI or whatever, (b) temporary residence such as a student visa, (c) visitor status like a tourist, or (d) no status at all - ie. full on illegal/visa overstay. The only really important thing is that you must be able to prove the date of entry and that you're resident; and
3. Even people who travel in and out of country with frequency are able to meet the physical presence requirements if meet the above conditions.

Am I understanding that incorrectly?

Yes. This is a catholic country, so you can apply being an inhabitant, a category you find in the Bible since God free us in Egipt. The inhabitant represents a free man, the legal resident a serf.

1. You can apply when you want but is not going to be process or granted at the second year. It is important to apply ASAP because it protects you from arrest for deportacion.
2. It counts sin you have a step in Argentina.
3. Yes but risky. If your application gets rejected you get a deportation order.
thanks for reply!
Would really appreciate if i could ask a few more questions on this topic.

1. How soon exactly is ASAP in your definition, do you mean we can apply as soon as we enter the country and get a long-term lease? So, it is going to be processed after 2 years? how fast is the process itself?
Does that means that the fact of applying gives us the right to reside until the application is processed? (so, basically we'll not need a student visas, but just 90 tourist + 90 extension and apply for citizenship at the end of this period)
3. Why is it risky? Does the student visa applications have a significant % rejection rate? assuming we enroll for a language classes / sailing / prob some art.

1. The only regulation is regarding to get it. I have many cases that were applied with 2 weeks in Argentina.
Long term lease?
Depending who is the judge, it is going to be process righ away of after you have 2 years here.
2. The right to inhabit is at the Bill of Rights.
To apply protects you from deportation.
Forget about student visas.
We have freedom of religion. It means you can apply under muslim requirements (legal everything), or under Christian requirements: to inhabit.
3. They double check it. If you do not apply for student visa, you do not get a deportation order, simple.

Good day to all.
As a newbie, I request your patience. My head is spinning from conflicting overviews on the websites I have used.

Firstly, I am South African (Read: silly money currency vs USD)
At this stage, I am trying to establish the possibility of residency for myself and family. We are a huge clan, including adult dependents.
Me. Husband.
Daughter unmarried 19 and still dependent.
Two adopted daughters 13 & 15.
Adult son with psychiatric disability (confirmed and documented)
My mother 67 - living with us and partially dependent - only receives monthly pension of around $300.(I'm unable to find definitive information on allowed dependents)

Can anybody advise me if this is still applicable for Rentista visa:
It is required to prove an annual income of at least ARS30,000 from a guaranteed source. It includes the applicant, his / her spouse, and children under 25 years of age.
You must show proof of your income from investments in foreign banks or companies, or securities issued by banks in the Argentine banking system and purchased with resources from abroad. Additional income might be required to include dependents.
This requirement may be fulfilled making a bank deposit of at least ARS30,000 at a local bank.
The ar$ 30,000 pesos income requirement a month remains the same for a single petitioner or a married one with children.
The visa has a validity of one year. You can renew the visa on condition that you still meet the requirements, i.e. make another deposit or prove a source of income. After two renewals, you will be eligible for permanent residency.

Also, if the information for this is correct:
One may also apply directly for a Residence Permit for Investors: this (temporary) permit is for foreigners who invest at least (R371 000) ARS$ 1,500,000 (~$187,000) in a venture that will benefit the local economy.

I don't doubt that I will need the services of a reasonably priced advisor or attorney, since we are only just beginning to study Spanish but at this stage, I would dearly appreciate a Yay or Nay regarding the chance of my family being able to relocate together.
ANY insight welcome
Morti

The income requirement of $30.000 ARS per month is overdue for an increase,

The last increase was from $8.000 ARS to $30.000 ARS.

When the $8.000 per month requirement took effect, the exchange rate was about 4 to one USD, so that was equal to about $2,000 USD

When the $30.000 ARS per month requirement took effect, the exchange rate was about 15 ARS to one USD, so that was equal to about $2,000 USD.

If the visa rentista is granted the monthly income level should stay the same for the full year, but you will have t renew at whatever rate is in effect at the time.

I am not sure, but you may not be able to include your mother in your temporary residency.

If the investor requirement is still $1.500.000 ARS, that is now less than $25,000 USD at an exchange rate of $65 ARS to one USD

That level may have been set when the exchange rate was about $8 ARS to one USD (if the ~$187,000 in your post is USD), I would be very surprised if they would grant an investor visa for an investment of $1.500.000 ARS.

PS: I expect the monthly income requirement for the visa rentista to at least triple in the near future.

PS2: If you are granted permanent residency on the third renewal, you will no longer have to prove your income to migraciones.

If you plan to immigrate, perhaps the best is to do it irregulary. Then the elder applies for citizenship. Once they have it, all the blood line down is entitle to AR Citizenship.
Argentina has now the frontiers close to immigration, this is why you are dealing with those requirements. There is no immigration category.
Rules are going to change soon, just wait until the neW President.

If you plan to immigrate, perhaps the best is to do it irregulary. Then the elder applies for citizenship. Once they have it, all the blood line down is entitle to AR Citizenship.
Argentina has now the frontiers close to immigration, this is why you are dealing with those requirements. There is no immigration category.
Rules are going to change soon, just wait until the neW President.
Since the person you are reply to probably has no idea what immigrating "irregularly" means, are you suggesting that the entire family comes to Argentina as tourists and just stay while the patriarch applies for (and the entire family then becomes eligible for) citizenship?

PS: How soon do you expect new immigration policies to be implemented under the new President?

Last edited:
Since the person you are reply to probably has no idea what immigrating "irregularly" means, are you suggesting that the entire family comes to Argentina as tourists and just stay while the patriarch applies for (and the entire family then becomes eligible for) citizenship?

PS: How soon do you expect new immigration policies to be implemented under the new President?
Touché!
There are going to be changes in the first 3 months.

Back