Digital Nomads - No Hope For Dni?

Another option might be the "rentista visa". With that visa you would have to incorporate outside Argentina and have your business pay you for example a dividend every month. The minimum income for the rentista visa was 8000 pesos when I looked into it - but I do not know if that number is still valid.

I have looked into the rentista visa but when I got to the point where it says that you need to make a transfer into an Argentinean bank every month I lost interest. I don't think it is even possible now to open a bank account here as a foreigner.

You can open the account as part of the application for residency, once you have a precaria.

As far as rentista goes, I know someone who has a foreign corporation and sends the required minimum amount through this corporation, as his earnings that qualify for the residency. You don't send all your money down that way - just what immigrations requires for the residency. Of course, you have to start a corporation, put the money in the corporation's bank account every month, and send it down - on top of that you have to have an accountant sign off on the required paperwork stating that the money is indeed dividends or some other kind of "passive" income that qualifies, which can be a problem if you are "tricking the system" in this way. Said corporation would need to be in a country where you can pay an accountant to say what you need it to say, and that in and of itself may cause some issues here as to its acceptability.

As far as nomads go - Personally, I'd hate to be one who has no choice but to pull up the stakes every six months, but it would be doable. Cost a lot of time in finding a place to live every time you did it, or to buy places where you could always stay when you were there (along with problems associated with that, like trying to sell your property here, for example, when you'd had enough). If money was no object, I suppose an apartment in two or three cities around the world would be cool - but if I had that kind of money I probably wouldn't have to work full time any more!

But that's me, I'm more of a homebody; I like to be established and have a reasonably solid base from which to travel, when I feel like, or can afford, to travel. I like having my desk (huge, L-shaped solid wood, nicely finished, etc - plenty of space for everything except my elliptical trainer :) ), my two monitors, my computers, my nice speakers and my elliptical trainer (and that's just in my office!). When I first came here, I had a laptop and worked on the kitchen table for a year and almost went nuts. I even bought a cheap desk at one point so I didn't have to leave crap on the kitchen table when it came time to eat dinner with my girlfriend (who later became my wife) and carried that to a couple of temp apartments until I started renting long term. I like having my own glasses, dishes, etc, not having to worry about "checking out" and "checking in" every so often, etc.

You can open the account as part of the application for residency, once you have a precaria.

Were you open a saving account with your precaria and no local employment somewhat recently? What bank?

I have looked into the rentista visa but when I got to the point where it says that you need to make a transfer into an Argentinean bank every month I lost interest. I don't think it is even possible now to open a bank account here as a foreigner.

I heard this from someone with a rentista visa, it is HEARSAY:
You can withdraw the 8,000 pesos or whatever it is and deposit it right back in. They don't check that it's not the same money!
Although you will rack up some fees probably so of course it's not just that easy.

Were you open a saving account with your precaria and no local employment somewhat recently? What bank?

I didn't see this post until now.

It has been about 4-5 years and things have indeed changed somewhat. My account was at Galicia (I closed it a year or so ago in favor of Santader Rio). But even now, as I understand things, you should able to qualify for the "free" savings accounts, though you may have to press them on that.

The only problem with having the free account is that the first debit card may not work online (it has a weird number and an expiration date like 10-15 years in the future), although you can use it in stores to get the interest-free payments on purchases (which can be really handy!).

Best to get some kind of way to pay taxes and be in the white, you can get a bit more out of your bank at that point. Look into monotributista - talk to an accountant and see if it's something you can do to allow you to pay taxes and declare some income.

Back