Dill, Where To Find Some

P.S. if your schedule allows, go day time during the week. So much less crowded than the weekends. If you are like me & you still have to think to translate the products/labels, it's much easier without a crowd behind you.

The name of the market is Casa China. It'snon the main street with the other stores & restaurants. Just follow the crowd. It's kinda in the middle, won't have to walk too far. You'll notice bins of dried grains/beans/rice in the window. It's also a great place to get seasonings, etc.. that's hard to find in the city. It'll become your new favorite place too :) If you're a fish eater, there is a place that sales good fish pretty cheap compared elsewhere. It's on the same main street, just follow your nose lol. PM if you have any other questions.
Pretty uncoventional way of giving directions...I imagine my tomtom going "After 10 metres of smelling fish you have reached your destination!!!" quality!! :lol:

Pretty uncoventional way of giving directions...I imagine my tomtom going "After 10 metres of smelling fish you have reached your destination!!!" quality!! :lol:
I found when having to walk around as much as we do here, the GPS service is just not reliable. It's all about relying on your senses! lol But was I wrong about the smell? It's unmistakable!

Barrio Chino (there is no such place as China town), is not so big that you'll need extensive directions. Once you get off the train you'll see the main streets fairly easily.

Barrio Chino (there is no such place as China town), is not so big that you'll need extensive directions. Once you get off the train you'll see the main streets fairly easily.

Exactly. Barrio chino is very generously 600m of street fronts maximum.

a somehow related question? where is the best Guacamole...?

2468443354_e1620f9053_o.jpg

Homemade! I haven't found a place here yet that doesn't mix it with mayo. Eww! That's not real guac. Has anyone found a place that keeps it pure?

No. You have to understand that for cheaper restaurants (and Mex places are not usually high end) Guacamole is a fairly expensive (check the price of those palpas) and that it spoils pretty quick. Brute economics at play here normally, corners are cut, filler ingredients are dumped in to cust costs. Not universally true but is often the case when ingredients aren't nacional y popular!

I went for lunch yesterday, not somewhere particularly cheap. Order a salad with orange, endives, palmitos and lettuce...arrived 95% tired lettuce, 4% palmitos (getting more expensive these days) and 3 sections of orange with 3 endive leaves. Truly miserable. Bottom line is that restaurants here face a rollercoaster of ingredient prices and will cut quality to manage costs sometimes.

Back