Discount Taxi From EZEIZA Airport

smirkypants

Registered
I've done this three times now and it works every time. If you don't have too much luggage, drag your stuff to the YPF station. Across the street there is a bus stop, so go there and stand like you are waiting patiently for the bus. Every few minutes a cab will go by and flash you to see if you want a ride either because they want to get back to the city in a hurry or don't want to pay the fee to the stands. They'll ask if you want a ride. You look very hesitant, say "No se, cuanto pedís (I'm not sure, how much are you asking). Almost always they say something like how much do you want to spend. Since they are looking to get out of there, they often will take just a little. Once I offered 50 pesos and he took it, another time 60. I usually say something like "solo tengo 60 pesos."

Personally - I think it's a huge risk to take. Are these radio taxis? Unless you're pretty comfortable getting around and very comfortable in Spanish, I would highly recommend taking a taxi from the approved taxi stand. No worries about getting ripped off or dropped off somewhere you don't want to be or getting your luggage stolen (all things that have happened to unwary foreigners who have taken a taxi from the street).

Your risk tolerance may vary but I'm not sure it's the greatest idea.

citygirl said:
Personally - I think it's a huge risk to take. Are these radio taxis? I'm not sure it's the greatest idea.

I would never suggest that anyone get in a random vehicle. I've only ever gotten into yellow and black painted taxis and the price is agreed upon beforehand. If you get mala onda from the cab driver, wait for the next one. Seriously, the risk is no different than what you would encounter picking up a taxi on the street; indeed, it's less because the cabby just dropped off another person coming to the airport. It's unlikely a cabby would drive all the way to the airport just to scam some hard-bargaining boludo waiting at a bus stop.

If you are highly risk-averse and are willing to pay twice as much, don't do it.

I did this again yesterday. I dragged my stuff to the bus stop across from the gas station and stood around looking bored. It took a little longer than usual (ten minutes), but eventually a cab with a driver in a hurry pulled up to me and asked me where I was going. I told him where but then I said "solo tengo 62 pesos." He waved me in and we were off. I'm telling you, it's the best way to get into town EVER!

great tip. Kind of off topic but citygirlś earlier post made me think. Has anybody really found radio taxis to be more reliable? I see that advice regurgitated here all the time, but I´ve been ripped off just as many times by radio taxis as I have by regular yellow and blacks. I stopped caring a long time ago, and now just take the first one I see.

Reactions: tez
PhilipDT said:
great tip. Kind of off topic but citygirlś earlier post made me think. Has anybody really found radio taxis to be more reliable? I see that advice regurgitated here all the time, but I´ve been ripped off just as many times by radio taxis as I have by regular yellow and blacks. I stopped caring a long time ago, and now just take the first one I see.

Yeah, I don't really pay attention anymore either. I just try to flag down newer taxis, preferably with an older driver. If a driver looks like a thug, I won't jump in. Obviously, looks can sometimes be deceiving though.

PhilipDT said:

The only way the Radio Taxi mantra provides more security is if you call for the taxi to pick you up so there is a record of the driver and taxi that respond to your call. Taking a cab from the curb, it really does not matter if it is a radio cab or non-radio cab.

Back