Discrimination against Fat People in Buenos Aires?

flowbear

Registered
I've been told and read that Portenos do not treat fat people very well. I understand that some people dislike fat people (and that's their business as long as they don't turn it into a major production) but do the Portenos exhibit this dislike in a very overt manner? If this is the case, I don't think I'd feel very comfortable moving to BsAs and be treated so poorly. This question has me very concerned to the point that I'm not sure if I'd even want to visit let alone possibly move there. Are there any forum members who have any experience or information concerning this topic? Not only am I fat but I'm also gay so I am used to the extreme discrimation within the gay community and I suspect that the gay community in BsAs is no different than here in the U.S. but at least in the general population I'm treated with a little more respect. I just don't think I could handle it very well if the extreme overt discrimination was coming at me from the straight as well as the gay community. Any information would be most appreciated.

I have lived here for 2 years now and I would say definetly there is more discrimination towards fat people than anywhere I have been in the world.
This is a very image conscious society and one that values more than anything the physical attributes

I personally descriminate against all the nasty anorexic women here. Be fat and proud or gay and proud and people will probly care less. I notice after 3 months of culture shock that people here react to your insecurities. Once I started walking around like I live here and have always lived here, people dont stare as much or treat me different (rip me off) as much. Theres a huge gay community here and I always see women and men couples shamelessly walking down the street holding hands (Palermo). I think transvestites get a little slack but the ones ive seen seem to be accepted in their own neighbourhoods. Its allot more open than it seems at first for sure.

I would say that there is discrimination but have to agree with staygolden that you just have to believe in yourself, that you are a great person no matter what people think and walk with purpose. I feel the most discrimination is when I go shopping for clothes. There are only four sizes (for the most part) in the stores so finding well fitting clothes can be difficult unless getting them custom made. I have also found that at times the "nasty anorexic" girls try to be pushy and act as if I dont matter because I am bigger than them. I have found, in the last two years of living here, that if I dont give them the power and push back but with a smile I feel better and they stop their ridiculous behavior. Dont let others stupid actions deter you from discovering an amazing culture and land.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond with your take on this subject. All information is most appreciated and hopefully will bring me one step closer to taking the final plunge. I\'ve never lived abroad so this is potentially an extremely large step for me. Was there any one defining moment when you decided that you indeed could live abroad. Or did you just go for a visit and never come home.

Back