DNI LIST (the queso grande of all DNI questions for US citizens)

Roxana said:
When you need to have your original birth certificate translated into Spanish in Argentina, only will be accepted if the translation is done by an official translator.

I went to Migraciones with friends of mine some months ago, and the office didnt give at that moment any printout with general instructions.

Ack the wonders of Migraciones! You have to ask for it or write down what they ask you to get.

steveinbsas said:
The OP simply didn't understand that he needs the job first.

Even if he has all of the documents required for temporary residency, he still needs a "qualifying" job before he can apply for it. He may also need the have the employer actually "ask permission" from migraciones to hire him.

Is that not correct? (I don't have a work visa, so I have to ask.:rolleyes:)

You are dead on Steve. He needs the job offer first, there is no way you can get a temp residency visa without that.

Okay guys, after 4 interviews and a mandatory basic English test, (is this normal?) I have secured an 'informal' job offer. They say they cannot create a formal job offer because I do not have a DNI or CUIL. Ironically, I cannot have these things without a formal job offer. HR is 'working' on contacting Migraciones to get my name on the 'approve for work visa list' as far as I understand. I have an appointment next week and will show up with all I have! Any advice would be appreciated :)

sam3g said:
Okay guys, after 4 interviews and a mandatory basic English test, (is this normal?) I have secured an 'informal' job offer. They say they cannot create a formal job offer because I do not have a DNI or CUIL. Ironically, I cannot have these things without a formal job offer. HR is 'working' on contacting Migraciones to get my name on the 'approve for work visa list' as far as I understand. I have an appointment next week and will show up with all I have! Any advice would be appreciated :)

Do you have your birth certificate (translated and legalized in Argentina) and an FBI report (both with the Apostille)?

The list is on page one, but I don't have an apostile for my FBI background check! I'm afraid to send it away and wait 3 weeks.

sam3g said:
The list is on page one, but I don't have an apostile for my FBI background check! I'm afraid to send it away and wait 3 weeks.

Must the apostille be completed in Washington, DC, or can it be done by your state of residence? Some states offer expedited service. New Jersey, for example, will process an apostille request in 8.5 hours for an additional $15.00 fee (plus the cost of any rush shipping fees.) Perhaps you can check with your state's Secretary of State website to see if that's an option.

starlucia said:
Must the apostille be completed in Washington, DC, or can it be done by your state of residence? Some states offer expedited service. New Jersey, for example, will process an apostille request in 8.5 hours for an additional $15.00 fee (plus the cost of any rush shipping fees.) Perhaps you can check with your state's Secretary of State website to see if that's an option.

The FBI reports are actually issued in West Virginia. A Secretary of State will not perform/issue the Apostille for an FBI report.

From the website in the frequently asked questions section:

Does the FBI provide apostilles*?

(*An apostille is a certification that a document that has been “legalized” or “authenticated” by the issuing agency through a process in which various seals are placed on the document.)

The CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and the signature of a division official on the results if requested at the time of submission. Documents prepared in this way may then be sent to the U.S. Department of State by the requester to obtain an apostille if necessary. This procedure became effective on January 25, 2010 and will apply only to documents finalized after that date. Requests to authenticate previously processed results will not be accepted. This procedure replaces the letter formerly provided by the CJIS Division that indicated the service was not provided. The apostille service is not provided to individuals requesting search results for Canadian immigration, as it is not required for this purpose.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/background_checks

sam3g said:

"The CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and the signature of a division official on the results if requested at the time of submission."

Unless your report has the seal and signature, it looks like you will need a new one. But since you already have an appointment with migraciones, it won't hurt to take the FBI report you have and see what happens.

Update:

I went to migraciones and indeed do need an apostille for my FBI background check and a work contract. Since the apostille is going to take about a month I booked a quick trip home to the US while it is being processed. Will returning to the US negate my FBI background check? I'd hate to have to wait another 3 months! In the meantime, the Human Resources representative at the big bureaucratic international company seems be doing little to provide me with a work contract (after 3 interviews and a verbal job offer). I promise I will document all the processes when I'm done with this! Thanks again for your help.

sam3g said:
Update:
Will returning to the US negate my FBI background check?

Yes. It is the single most ridiculous and stupid complication of the whole process I have heard of to date, but yes that is the general consensus. It's ridiculous because that means in order to apply for residency in Argentina you already have to be living in Argentina, most likely "illegally"(perma-tourist) :D

Also, finding a job who can process your work papers is tough. You'll really want to look for jobs where being a native English speaker is an absolute must, as those are the types of companies that are already going to be registered with immigrations. As far as I understand, a company actually must be registered with immigrations in order to hire you and process your work visa. I guess this is to force the company to "prove" that they need to hire a foreigner for this position as it cannot be done, or cannot be done as well, by an Argentine.

Good luck with that part. I had a good fun time for years with that one :p

Back