DNI Question

I also suggest you marry again in this country, it will make many bureaucratic procedures simpler (Inherit for example, to get your spounse medical insurance, to get a pension in case he dies, to represent him in any business or procedure, children are his, not recognition needed, etc.) because you don´t have to evidence your marriage relation, it is a fact.
Regards[/quote]

Can you really marry twice? We didn't do this, we married outside Argentina and then had a court case locally to get our foreign marriage registered here

Bajo_cero2 said:
I also suggest you marry again in this country, it will make many bureaucratic procedures simpler (Inherit for example, to get your spounse medical insurance, to get a pension in case he dies, to represent him in any business or procedure, children are his, not recognition needed, etc.) because you don´t have to evidence your marriage relation, it is a fact.
Regards

You cannot get married twice. It is a diplomatic gesture to recognise the legality of marriages that took place in other countries, so the Argentines will refuse to marry you again if you have already been married elsewhere (unless it's one of those technically illegal marriages performed in Tahiti etc)

All you can do is get your marriage certificate from the other country legalised here, as far as I know it's just a tramite at the registro civil, I had not heard of having to go to court.

As someone who hired an actor to perform our ceremony here in Argentina, trust me, you cannot get married again by any true legal method.

syngirl said:
You cannot get married twice.

You cannot marry twice with different persons.

syngirl said:
It is a diplomatic gesture to recognise the legality of marriages that took place in other countries, so the Argentines will refuse to marry you again if you have already been married elsewhere (unless it's one of those technically illegal marriages performed in Tahiti etc)

It is less primitive, this is ruled by New York convention of 1929.

syngirl said:
All you can do is get your marriage certificate from the other country legalised here, as far as I know it's just a tramite at the registro civil, I had not heard of having to go to court.

The argentinian law only recognizes "automatically" a marriage made in argentina. In any other case your rights aren´t automatic, a judge has to enforce them, but there is a cone of uncertain every time a judge has to decide about your rights. So, it is better to marry againg here.

Regards

So I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I have everything I need in order to get my DNI application sent off except for the certificado de domicilio. This isn't want of trying as I have been waiting in my apartment Monday to Friday 9am-4pm for two weeks now. This process is supposed to take three days for an officer to come round and check that this is the address I live at, and I have now been twice back to the station(Comisaría 33) and the last time they said they would get an officer there that day(two days ago now). Is this par for the course, its just I'm going mad.

Many thanks.

So I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice, I have everything I need in order to get my DNI application sent off except for the certificado de domicilio. This isn't want of trying as I have been waiting in my apartment Monday to Friday 9am-4pm for two weeks now. This process is supposed to take three days for an officer to come round and check that this is the address I live at, and I have now been twice back to the station(Comisaría 33) and the last time they said they would get an officer there that day(two days ago now). Is this par for the course, its just I'm going mad.

I went to get mine a year ago and they gave me the option of showing a rental contract or bill or something showing my name and my address, and they gave it to me right there on the spot without doing a visit. I had to get one a month ago and I just brought a bank statement in and it worked again. See if that works... it saves them time and saves you time.

Many thanks.
Yeah, this happened to me but after repeated visits to the station they finally went. I was out, but someone else verified for me. Then I was told x amount of days to go and get the paper. I went on stated day and it wasn't ready. They told me to come back but I insisted and waited for her to do it there. Try taking some proof of your address with you if you have any, perhaps you'll get lucky and someone will do it in the moment.

If it takes two years to get a DNI, can you still legally stay in Argentina during those 2 years that it is pending?

Thanks for the replies guys, turns out they lost the paperwork so they sent someone that days as I got the Misses(Porteña) to whip them into shape.

If it takes two years to get a DNI, can you still legally stay in Argentina during those 2 years that it is pending?

Unless there has been a ¨recent¨ change, migraciones will give you a 90 day precaria which allows you to say ¨legally¨ in Argentina while waiting for your DNI.

You can renew your precaria (on line?) until you receive your DNI.

Back