DNI

What kind of residency were you applying for and was this a renewal?

Mine just says Extranjero on it. I am working in country so I suppose it's for work authorization. Not a renewal, had a precario before the DNI that let me in and out of the country. By the time I got the damn thing it is almost time to renew. Also, my address had changed since I applied so I immediately had to go through the bureaucratic process of changing my address.

Mine just says Extranjero on it. I am working in country so I suppose it's for work authorization. Not a renewal, had a precario before the DNI that let me in and out of the country. By the time I got the damn thing it is almost time to renew. Also, my address had changed since I applied so I immediately had to go through the bureaucratic process of changing my address.
What was the process for changing your address, if you don't mind sharing? If I ever get my hands on my DNI, will need the same.

first find the passport/DNI office in your town. go there and get a number, wait, when your number is called go up to the counter and register to change your address, get a piece of paper, carry the piece of paper 6 city blocks to the other municipal building where you wait in line and pay a 300ARS fee.walk back 6 blocks to the original building and take a number, wait, get called and hand over the paper showing you paid, go sit at the desk where the lady asks you your new address, retakes your picture and gets your finger prints again. the lady will give you another sheet of paper that YOU HAVE TO HAVE when the delivery guy comes to deliver your new DNI. The delivery service will not release your DNI to you without this paper even if you have your passport or god himself vouching for you.

Altogether that process takes about 1.5-2 hours.

It has been 3 weeks now and I still don't have my new address DNI. In a month I will travel to BA to do my work visa paperwork over again and get a new DNI.

I did manage to get a driver's license from start to finish with the license in hand in the span of 2 hours. They misspelled my name the first time (of course) and cut a new license in 10 minutes.I got a 96% of a multiple choice castellano test and I don't really even speak spanish.

first find the passport/DNI office in your town. go there and get a number, wait, when your number is called go up to the counter and register to change your address, get a piece of paper, carry the piece of paper 6 city blocks to the other municipal building where you wait in line and pay a 300ARS fee.walk back 6 blocks to the original building and take a number, wait, get called and hand over the paper showing you paid, go sit at the desk where the lady asks you your new address, retakes your picture and gets your finger prints again. the lady will give you another sheet of paper that YOU HAVE TO HAVE when the delivery guy comes to deliver your new DNI. The delivery service will not release your DNI to you without this paper even if you have your passport or god himself vouching for you.
Altogether that process takes about 1.5-2 hours.
It has been 3 weeks now and I still don't have my new address DNI. In a month I will travel to BA to do my work visa paperwork over again and get a new DNI.
I did manage to get a driver's license from start to finish with the license in hand in the span of 2 hours. They misspelled my name the first time (of course) and cut a new license in 10 minutes.I got a 96% of a multiple choice castellano test and I don't really even speak spanish.
Perfect and well detailed the tortured steps. Stations of the cross, jajaja. Surprised they don't require a new Certificate of Domicilio and just accept your word on the new address. Something seriously wrong there, surely they'll realize they've overlooked that time consuming step. Interesting also the heavy emphasis on proof of payment. At Jujuy 468, where you go to collect your DNI after the delivery service has determined your address doesn't exist or you're not at home at the moment they call, or whatever. That proof of payment of 300 lousy pesos determines whether you get in at 468 Jujuy or not or they grudgingly accept your precaria as "proof".
If you can find a/the Tramite number for your replacement DNI you might be able to track it via Correct Argentina, see if it's been mailed yet or as in my case, they determined my address to be nonexistent and returned the DNI to the maker, who then sends it to 468 Jujuy where allegedly you can collect it after 15 days..

If you can find a/the Tramite number for your replacement DNI you might be able to track it via Correct Argentina, see if it's been mailed yet or as in my case, they determined my address to be nonexistent and returned the DNI to the maker, who then sends it to 468 Jujuy where allegedly you can collect it after 15 days..
The tracking is a joke now, you can only track your DNI once it's been produced (1-3 months) and is with Correos de Argentina, and then two attempts in quick succession are made to deliver it (i.e. within 2 days of each other), with no notification to you, after which is presumably goes to Av. Jujuy. Good luck tracking something when you don't know the date it's sent, or when it's being delivered. I'll be off to see if mine is languishing at Av. Jujuy in the next few days.

The tracking is a joke now, you can only track your DNI once it's been produced (1-3 months) and is with Correos de Argentina, and then two attempts in quick succession are made to deliver it (i.e. within 2 days of each other), with no notification to you, after which is presumably goes to Av. Jujuy. Good luck tracking something when you don't know the date it's sent, or when it's being delivered. I'll be off to see if mine is languishing at Av. Jujuy in the next few days.
Well, you've got the drill. Exactly how my experience went down. I would only add that I went to Jujuy within a couple of
days of discovering it had been returned by Correo Argentino. At Jujuy they told me to come back in 15 days. Maybe it saves you a trip to hear the same.

Is it possible to get a DNI before you live in Argentina. My wife is an Argentine citizen. We plan to buy property there and I would like to have a bank account there. Is it possible?

Contact Argentina embassy to asses your options. Being attached to an Argentine person Spouse or Child entitles you for a permanent residency issued from Embassy without the need to be inside the country. However, processing time might be a factor to consider. Another important thing to look into is the validity will be a one year only.

You can expect the reception of residency stamped on your passport within 4 to 6 months. A DNI will remain a question if you can get it while abroad or from inside Argentina only!

Well, you've got the drill. Exactly how my experience went down. I would only add that I went to Jujuy within a couple of
days of discovering it had been returned by Correo Argentino. At Jujuy they told me to come back in 15 days. Maybe it saves you a trip to hear the same.
Good news day! I trekked to 468 Jujuy today, about 16 days since my last visit after the non delivery by Correo Argentina, when I was advised to return in 15 days. For the first time in months of chasing the 'come back later', the DNI was there!! Sent to wait in another room, a friendly woman cheerily called my name, opened her envelope, signed me out and handed over the DNI. Advised me to apply for renewal 3 months before the expiry date.
Whew! what a long strange trip it has been. The End

Good news day! I trekked to 468 Jujuy today, about 16 days since my last visit after the non delivery by Correo Argentina, when I was advised to return in 15 days. For the first time in months of chasing the 'come back later', the DNI was there!! Sent to wait in another room, a friendly woman cheerily called my name, opened her envelope, signed me out and handed over the DNI. Advised me to apply for renewal 3 months before the expiry date.
Whew! what a long strange trip it has been. The End
Glad it finally happened after months of waiting! Yippee!

Maybe you mentioned this but I missed it: Correo Argentino now sends out an email saying that they will be visiting you that day and providing you with tracking info. We got that email yesterday, but we are traveling. Both yesterday and today when they attempted the delivery, the delivery failed (according to tracking info). I'm assuming that the encargados were not at the door either day, even though I asked them yesterday to be on the lookout today. I guess it's just a matter of waiting 15 days and going to Jujuy, as you did. Thanks for your update.

It took 13 weeks rom the time we applied through Radex to the first attempted delivery of the DNI. That was for a cambio de categoría to residencia permanente.

Last edited:
Does anyone know for how long the residencia permanente is valid?

Back