do argentines need a passport to enter brazil?

Praetor

Registered
someone told me that Portenos can enter Brazil using only their DNI, is this correct?

Thanks

Hey, I'm a porteño, and if I want to go to Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay or any of the "Mercosur" Countries, I only have to hand them out my DNI and that's more than enough.

If you have more questions, just PM.

Saludos,

Mariano.

Another question --

If you are a foreigner and have a DNI will that suffice in order to go to neighboring countries like Brazil?
I am getting my DNI in 40 dias hábiles (fingers crossed!) and I am curious to know if my DNI would be valid for neighboring countries as well or if it will indicate that I am foreign in which case I would have to present my passport as well....

Thanks!

I think that if you have a DNI it doesn't matter where you were born. Same thing happens to me when I go to the states. I have a spanish passport, hence I don't need any travel visa, but in the Spanish passport says that I was born in Argentina.

No problems at all, as long as you have your DNI.

Argentines can enter any bordering country using only their DNI,and this arrangement works both ways.

I believe that if you are a U.S. citizen and have Argentine Permanent Residence (and DNI), you still need a visa stamp in your U.S. passport prior to entering Brazil. You can obtain this at the Brazilian Consulate in BA. The difference in having Argentine Permanent Residency is that you should be issued a 5 year visa instead of a 30 day visa as most U.S. citizens are issued. At least that has been my experience. Also, I believe that Argentine citizens can travel to Mercosur Countries with only a Cédula. That has been my wife’s experience anyway.

oxente! said:
Another question --

If you are a foreigner and have a DNI will that suffice in order to go to neighboring countries like Brazil?
I am getting my DNI in 40 dias hábiles (fingers crossed!) and I am curious to know if my DNI would be valid for neighboring countries as well or if it will indicate that I am foreign in which case I would have to present my passport as well....

Thanks!

If Brazil requires entry visas for citizens of your country of origin, it does not matter wheter you have a DNI or not. You will need a visa, as a DNI cannot override visa requirements. There are other threads about this in this forum. Search "Brazil visa".

Good luck ;)

Back