Argentines obtaining italian passport

legilber

Registered
Hi everyone!

I´m looking at doing my MBA and after some advice from family, friends, professors, business associates, etc, I´m turing my focus to european schools instead of universities here. So I´m now looking at a few schools in spain or the uk but I wouln´t be starting for about a year.

My question is, my argentine boyfriend and I want to move together and not get married beforehand (shock gasp not getting married for the ease). We´ve started the process of getting his italian passport so we can go and live there easily but we´re coming up short on how the process works.

Can anyone give me some advice on it? Is there a company that we can call to have them trace his family? We talked to his grandmother the other day, who was born in italy and she barely remembered anything, let alone her birth city. His parents are also a little fuzzy on the info so we´re thinking a company would be the best way to go.

Also, if you have had experience with this process, approximately how long did it take? we were talking with someone the other day and were told that it´s quicker now than it was a few years ago.

Ok thanks!!

You're referring to the process of jure sanguinis. Not sure about Argentina, but in the U.S., the applicant is required to present certified, apostilled, translated copies of their birth certificate, the Italian parent's birth certificate, parents' marriage certificate, any applicable divorce certificates, Italian grandparent's birth certificate, and proof that they never naturalized in another country (or if they did, after their child was 21 years old). After that, you just sign a form, pay some more money, and wait for the passport to arrive in the mail. Unfortunately, I've heard the waiting time in Argentina is quite long, 2 years or more.

I know of a Argentine who has a similar problem. He has Italian and Spanish grandparents. Th Italian grandparents have absolutely no papers. Does it mean he can NOT apply for Italian citizenship?

On other hand, the Spanish grandparents have ALL the papers in order. Can you guys suggest some agency for applying for Spanish citizenship. How many months/years does it take to get Spanish citizenship with paper work in order..

My friend tried to get it here, but was unsuccessful on the grounds that it was her grandmother who was Italian. Apparently Italian nationality can only be passed through the male line. This is word of mouth and I didn't see any documents backing it up, so double check.

There is a NGO which can help you get documents from Italy and advises on how to get Italian citizenship. Patronato ACLI, Rivadavia 1257

http://www.acli.org.ar/index.php?op...&id=3:tramites-varios&Itemid=6&layout=default

@Banknote, Spanish citizenship cannot be passed from grandparents, only parents. Only Italy and Ireland allow for citizenship to be obtained from grandparents.

just for info , if you phone the Spanish Embassy to get an appointment to become a Spanish national , the earliest date you will get is April of 2012......

And Poland too, following the father line. Your father gets it from your gfather,and from there you get it. Takes like 5 years, totally worth it.

I have an Argentine amiga who is of Spanish & Italian descent.

The ITALIAN passport is much easier to get than the Spanish one, so she went the Italian route.

It only took her about 16 months longer than they told her it would, but she finally got it.

milly said:
My friend tried to get it here, but was unsuccessful on the grounds that it was her grandmother who was Italian. Apparently Italian nationality can only be passed through the male line. This is word of mouth and I didn't see any documents backing it up, so double check.

Well, that's kind of true. The law states that citizenship could not be passed from a female prior to January 1, 1948. SO, if your friend's Italian parent was born in or after 1948, she would be eligible. If not, totes screwed.

In the UK, there is such a thing as an unmarried partner visa, so your partner could theoretically accompany you while you are on a student visa if you can show that you are unmarried partners. Of course, you would both have to show that you have the funds to support yourselves, etc.

BankNote said:
I know of a Argentine who has a similar problem. He has Italian and Spanish grandparents. Th Italian grandparents have absolutely no papers. Does it mean he can NOT apply for Italian citizenship?

On other hand, the Spanish grandparents have ALL the papers in order. Can you guys suggest some agency for applying for Spanish citizenship. How many months/years does it take to get Spanish citizenship with paper work in order..

Hi there, I've got an Argentinian friend who is now studying in Europe thanks to her Spanish Visa, even though she had a Spanish grandma.
What they did was to get their mum a Spanish passport first of all and once the mother had one, all her children were able to apply.
For what it's worth, all of them have Spanish passports now although the two eldest sisters who were already in their early 30s were the last ones to obtain them. They did all procedures at the Spanish embassy and all in all the whole process took them about 2 years.
Good luck to your friend!

Back