Do I as a tenant have to pay for excessive energy consumption?

pavelgalkin

Registered
Hello. I've rented an apartment for 1 year (6 months + 6 months contracts). The contract included all utility expenses with this clause from the contract:

El valor mencionado incluye los gastos de Alumbrado, Barrido y Limpieza (A.B.L.) y expensas ordinarias y extraordinarias Luz, Gas, Internet y Cable y Aysa a cargo de “LA LOCADORA”.

I already moved out, relinquished the keys, and received the safety deposit. The real estate agent now notifies me that I consumed way too much electricity! They had to pay 54k instead of the expected 4k. They want to charge me the difference.

I didn't run any nuclear power reactors from the apartment, I just lived and consumed as much as any other person would. I don't know how I managed to exceed. Was not aware of any limits. And even if there was a limit it's not stated in the contract, and I was not notified if I exceeded it during my stay (the bills are coming in monthly). It silently accumulated and became a big surprise for the agent and me.

Anyways, I don't think I should pay because I already paid enough for some of the damages before I moved out (neighbor above flooded the ceiling, repainting the scratched walls, some plumbing work in the bathroom, etc.), but I'm afraid the agent is hellbent on suing me or something. The lawyer would be more expensive for me. On the other hand, they returned the deposit, which means they had no ill intent and are probably genuinely dismayed.

What should I do? What's the worst that can happen if I simply enjoy the Spring and ignore their demands?

Not a lawyer but that's their problem, they're trying to scam you because you're a foreigner, and if they don't stop bugging them send them this:

The odds whoever owns the apartment is declaring the rent is near 0, so that will likely put them in their place.

What should I do? What's the worst that can happen if I simply enjoy the Spring and ignore their demands?
I would ask for a copy of the utility bill first. How much did you pay in the previous month? It's possible they Edesur have read the wrong meter, as this things happen. Or the landlord might have lost a state subsidy, which could account for the increase in cost.
I didn't run any nuclear power reactors from the apartment,
I am pretty sure nuclear reactors don't need much electricity. They use a different source of energy instead :)

I never paid any utility bills because the agreement was that it's included in the monthly price of the rent. I never even opened the envelopes. I think they (real estate agency) postponed the payments until I move out, assuming it will be regular prices. Now they came in to pay and discovered it has been abnormal throughout the months. They blame me for this, but I say I never did anything unusual in terms of energy consumption. And in any case they should have warned me the first time it exceeded their implicit limit. I probably wouldn't have used the electric heater and air conditioner during winter. Maybe that's the ultimate cause.

You have a contract. Sometimes the electricity company misreads the meters. It could also be the case of energy theft. Not your problem at all.

This seems very suspicious to me as well, as if the agent wants to collect another commission. If they don't provide the copies of the bills, then ask for the CLIENT NUMBER and METER NUMBER from a member of the consorcio or encargado with a key to the basement. This will allow you access to the last year of bills online, including when they were paid, amount of consumption and the amount. This is the proof you need to confirm that you don't owe them anything.

Meters are read automatically by a device that meter readers use. There was no mistake. You should be provided copies of all the bills, if in fact, there was excess consumption.

... This will allow you access to the last year of bills online, including when they were paid, amount of consumption and the amount. This is the proof you need to confirm that you don't owe them anything.

Why would he make such an extensive investigation on his own initiative?

I believe that's what the courts are for. They would need to prove that fair usage was implied, even if it wasn't stated in the contract, and that he surpassed this limit.

Hello. I've rented an apartment for 1 year (6 months + 6 months contracts). The contract included all utility expenses with this clause from the contract:

I already moved out, relinquished the keys, and received the safety deposit. The real estate agent now notifies me that I consumed way too much electricity! They had to pay 54k instead of the expected 4k. They want to charge me the difference.

I didn't run any nuclear power reactors from the apartment, I just lived and consumed as much as any other person would. I don't know how I managed to exceed. Was not aware of any limits. And even if there was a limit it's not stated in the contract, and I was not notified if I exceeded it during my stay (the bills are coming in monthly). It silently accumulated and became a big surprise for the agent and me.

Anyways, I don't think I should pay because I already paid enough for some of the damages before I moved out (neighbor above flooded the ceiling, repainting the scratched walls, some plumbing work in the bathroom, etc.), but I'm afraid the agent is hellbent on suing me or something. The lawyer would be more expensive for me. On the other hand, they returned the deposit, which means they had no ill intent and are probably genuinely dismayed.

Do nothing.

Back