Do I have any chance of getting into Argentina before COVID ends?

Big Swifty

Registered
I am a US citizen who has been living in Perú since 2012 and with residency since 2013 that was obtained after I married my Peruvian wife.

My wife´s two brothers both live in Argentina with residency. Her parents are in the process of obtaining their residency.

My wife has a few serious and chronic medical conditions for which adequate treatment is not available in Perú, though it is available in Argentina. After receiving a recomendation from a doctor she is now there. The doctor recomended that she be able to bring someone to assist her, which I have been doing these past 8 years. The one brother who lives near where she is staying works 25 hours a day and her parents are busy watching 4 grandchildren.

Argentina is saying that I¨m not eligible to enter because my wife is not a resident. My wife was able to enter as the sibling of a resident. I understand it takes two years to obtain residency.

My question is, once my wife starts the process of applying for residency will I be able to enter Argentina, or will I have to wait for that process to be complete or for Argentina to lift restrictions once COVID is under control?

Peru is an associate state of MERCOSUR since 2003. This is a case where it would be best to consult an immigration lawyer.

Thank you for the response. I´ve been suggesting consulting an immigration lawyer from the get go.

Another possibility is a 23 A or 23 E work visa since I´ve been offered work to do English language voiceover work on videos for the US market and to then act as a customer service representative as well as field inquiries from potential clients. Not sure if that´s specialized enough or even if Argentina is giving out foreign worker visas during COVID.

Yes, Argentina is granting Work Visas currently. If that's the route you're likely to go I'd start getting apostilled police reports and the like together because it can take ages under the current circumstances.

Yes, Argentina is granting Work Visas currently. If that's the route you're likely to go I'd start getting apostilled police reports and the like together because it can take ages under the current circumstances.
They are very relaxed with requirements nowadays because even an address certificate is a challenge.

I am a US citizen who has been living in Perú since 2012 and with residency since 2013 that was obtained after I married my Peruvian wife.

My wife´s two brothers both live in Argentina with residency. Her parents are in the process of obtaining their residency.

My wife has a few serious and chronic medical conditions for which adequate treatment is not available in Perú, though it is available in Argentina. After receiving a recomendation from a doctor she is now there. The doctor recomended that she be able to bring someone to assist her, which I have been doing these past 8 years. The one brother who lives near where she is staying works 25 hours a day and her parents are busy watching 4 grandchildren.

Argentina is saying that I¨m not eligible to enter because my wife is not a resident. My wife was able to enter as the sibling of a resident. I understand it takes two years to obtain residency.

My question is, once my wife starts the process of applying for residency will I be able to enter Argentina, or will I have to wait for that process to be complete or for Argentina to lift restrictions once COVID is under control?
Family reunification was working during pandemy. This is your best option. SC decided about this topic recently and granted it even you a criminal records for cocaine trafficking.
To disclosure her medical conditions is going to be an issue nowadays where those resources are scarse.

Thanks again for the responses. The situation is that Argentina is saying that since my wife is not a citizen or resident of Argentina, that I have no rights (also not being a citizen or resident) to enter, so I´m not counting on "family reunification" being the key in my case.

Just to be clear, I´m not suggesting I have any rights, or that Argentina is acting unreasonably. I just want to be together with my wife to assist her with her medical needs, as I´ve been doing the last eight years, and also for the obvious reason that she´s my wife an we want to be together. I´m also up for a change of scenery/culture and there are other advantages that Argentina has over Peru for me that have to deal with eventually establishing a small business with the intentions of hiring 5-10 computer profecient people. Nothing requiring any large investment of captial, though.

It sounds like the better strategy right now is to pursue the foreign worker´s visa. The work is through my brother in-law (with residence) but the company is American. My wife´s aunt, who I´m staying with in Lima, seems to be hopeful that things will ease up in April. I wish I could share her confidence, but I have a feeling this situation will continue until perhaps August, Sept, or Oct. Quien sabe?

Back