Do I need to pay taxes with a Rentista Visa

A bit more detail. Unless the process has changed recently, unless using a lawyer, you follow your own case on the Migraciones website. As each 90 day precaria expiry date approaches, you have to go into the system and press buttons to request its renewal. You can do this from day 80. But it is (or was--my information is not completely recent) not always straightforward. They may approve your electronic request in a timely fashion (and the new precaria document will appear in the system for you to print), but they may not. You find yourself checking every day, If it doesn't happen by day 90, you've got to go Migraciones in person and get them to do it manually (you have a grace period of I think 21 days). If you've got that far in the process, you will already know that going down to Migraciones and trying to make something happen is one of life's character-building experiences that we can all do without.

Without a lawyer managing all this for you, there is nothing simple about this, unfortunately. It has the potential to detract from your experience here. You won't have to leave the country every 90 days, But you will have to attend to this part of the process every 90 days and potentially front up every 90 days. Which means travel plans have to be calculated with certain dates in mind. And there is always the possibility that someone will open your file, notice something that the original delegate didn't see, and send you a strange email that will ask for a document you don't have, that may not even exist, and that you can see has nothing to do with the case. If that happens, you will either have to abandon the project, or get a lawyer.

Last edited:
Back