Do not bank with Santander Río!

Generally banks don't want US citizens because of FACTA - it's not only Argentina. It's a PITA to comply with the reporting requirements so many banks have said thanks but no thanks.

I think you might be taking this a little too personal.

No one doubts the customer service you received at Santander Rio was atrocious. But I don't think you were being "shamed" because you're an "immigrant" from the USA (or wherever).

Customer service in Buenos Aires is terrible for everyone. Most employees are rude, unhelpful, and want you gone as quick as possible.

Why?

a) It's impossible to fire anyone in Argentina. Therefore there's no incentive to provide decent service.
b) Since service is so bad, Argentine customers tend to be very hostile. Employees are combative because they deal with angry people all day long. It's a vicious cycle. Go to any busy bank around lunch time. You'll see.

But if this was a very upsetting experience for you... then my advice would be to either a) get thicker skin, or b) leave Argentina.

I'll opt for A!

It is not tit for that, it has to do with FACTA. If you don't like it you can create your own party, win elections and change it ( CFK dixit ). On a more serious note, if you interpret an officialf letter from JP as discriminating you leave me speechless.

Sorry to leave you speechless. Let me clarify...

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I did not see the photo you posted on the thread when I posted my comment this morning (I have now, thanks for that). I was responding to your earlier comment (posted before the photo), where you did not specify WHY they closed the account, and therefore I assumed that you were, in turn, making a follow-up claim to my original comment about discrimination. Obviously, I do not interpret the letter as discriminatory. Moreover, now that I know you were not arguing that "tit for tat makes discrimination just," I think you're more sane.

Santander refused to open me an account when I had a Temporary residence visa. when I got the permanent visa had no problem to open an account . Banks do have regulations..
This is precisely what they told me they would do for me - open an account once I have a DNI.

But the issue still stands, does precluding people from opening a bank account make it more difficult to assimilate/integrate? Does it perpetuate informality, raise concerns of personal security, and lend itself to black-market practices?

Santander's policy does not seem to me to be "anti-American", as some on this thread seem to think I was arguing. Rather, we are discussing the requisite of having a DNI to open an account, even when CUIT's have been issued and the lengthy and expensive process for permanent residency with migraciones has begun.

Sorry to leave you speechless. Let me clarify...

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I did not see the photo you posted on the thread when I posted my comment this morning (I have now, thanks for that). I was responding to your earlier comment (posted before the photo), where you did not specify WHY they closed the account, and therefore I assumed that you were, in turn, making a follow-up claim to my original comment about discrimination. Obviously, I do not interpret the letter as discriminatory. Moreover, now that I know you were not arguing that "tit for tat makes discrimination just," I think you're more sane.
PS, @nikad... as for creating a party, winning elections, and changing policies - meh, that seems like a lot of work. Besides, look how that turned out for CFK now. l'll just stick to this cozy - and fraud-less - little thread. Thanks though!

As far as I am concerned Savings accounts normally get Only a Debit Card... You claim they can in addition get a Credit Card? Well you see one learns something every day :rolleyes:....

Well, I have a savings account with both a debit and credit card and the account is with...drum roll...wait for it...drum roll...

Banco Santander Rio Argentina!

Where the customer service has always been EXCELLENT!

They actually gave me the credit card without even asking me if I wanted it.

PS: I opened the account at Santander RIo about ten minutes after being turned down by...drum roll...wait for it...drum roll...

Banco Galicia.

PS2: Santander Rio never even hinted at closing my account. I went to the branch in Bahia Blanca in November of 2015 and signed a W-9 before they had the chance to send me a request to come in and sign the form.

PS3: I don't consider being told you cannot open an account at any bank as an example of "atrocious" customer service. The employee was simply following bank policy. In that case I think it's more accurate to say there wasn't any customer service provided as an individual actually has to have an account to be considered a customer. 1534461314339.png

Last edited:
Well, I have a savings account with both a debit and credit card and the account is with...drum roll...wait for it...drum roll...

Banco Santander Rio Argentina!

Where the customer service has always been EXCELLENT!

They actually gave me the credit card without even asking me if I wanted it.

PS: I opened the account at Santander RIo about ten minutes after being turned down by...drum roll...wait for it...drum roll...

Banco Galicia.

PS2: Santander Rio never even hinted at closing my account. I went to the branch in Bahia Blanca in November of 2015 and signed a W-9 before they had the chance to send me a request to come in and sign the form.

PS3: I don't consider being told you cannot open an account at any bank as an example of "atrocious" customer service. The employee was simply following bank policy. In that case I think it's more accurate to say there wasn't any customer service provided as an individual actually has to have an account to be considered a customer. View attachment 5120

Agreed. I have an account with Santander Rio. Customer Service has been good. I've got to say I'm pretty happy with them. I find it wierd that OP thought somehow migraciones opinion mattered at a private company. Like somehow they are obligated to do business with him because a government beauracrat said so. They didn't want to open an account for him....ok. Not bad service at all. I think OP is going to have a bad time in Argentina if being turned down by a bank caused him to go on an online rant. Things can be much worse here I promise. I will admit I am also considering opening a Galicia account because the girl told me that international transfers in US dollars are free, but I need to look into the fine print more. Anyone know anything about that?

Back