Do the math, por favor

fred mertz

Registered
Math was never my favorite or most successful school subject, so I may be wrong.
Today, I went to a fabulous Recoleta Disco Market. A 500 gr plastic container of Hellmans Mayonaise was $6.09. A 1000 gr plastic container of the same product was $15.85. It gets better. The smaller amount had the regular price, The larger size was reduced in price from $16.68 !!!! No, it wasn't a typo, I checked at another Disco, same prices. Normally, you'd expect to get a discount if you bought a larger quantity. Not in BA or at least at Disco. How pathetic.

I VERY rarely find discounts for buying a larger quantity in BsAs. It seems like they just assume that you won't do the math- and that you'll assume it's cheaper.
Especially at Disco.

Other examples include when you buy a dozen (empanadas/facturas/etc.) and the price is... the same. Multiplied by 12.
The only thing that it's generally cheaper to buy larger is beer. Liters, vs smaller that is.

Another thing about Disco... they overcharge for EVERYTHING. And then they give you a 15% discount check but you go buy their juice and guess what... it's more that 15% cheaper at the Chino in the first place. We're all suckers.

Supply and demand, that is the explanation.

I think someone posted it before: They assume the wealthier people are buying the larger quantities and therefore the prices are higher. The smaller quantities are for people on a budget.

Strange logic, but it's hard to see what else it could be.

Disco, Hipermercados Jumbo, Mini Sol supermarkets, Easy home improvement stores, are owned by Cencosud S.A. is a Chilean retail company they bought all these business from argentine hands when the economy collapsed in 2001....hence the chilean prices strategy, sorry about that but blame the chileans for that and the argentineans for selling these national icons to them. . :mad:

Another thing I noticed once, I went to buy tortilla chips at Jumbo once. They had the usual, Doritos Dips and the red bag of Macritas. There was no price for the macritas anywhere so I just assumed that the Dips would be cheaper since they aren't imported. But my boyfriend made me find a price scanner to check and the Macritas were a few pesos cheaper actually! They just didn't put the price tag anywhere; I assume in hopes that most people would be like me and assume they would be more expensive. And I'm sure it works, it almost did on me!

a pack of 250 gram white pepper : 2.5 peso in Jumbo
1 pack of 500 gram white pepper : 5.2 peso

puvenlee said:
a pack of 250 gram white pepper : 2.5 peso in Jumbo
1 pack of 500 gram white pepper : 5.2 peso

Sorry, I think it's 25 and 50 gram

Just wanted to say I went to a Carrefour in Belgrano the other day, and the kilo Sancor butter was in fact cheaper (per gram) than the 200g Sancor butter-- first time I've ever seen that!! There was a thread about this already, recently, but I guess no one can be asked to dig it up (myself included).

I was very excited to see that about the butter, though, hopefully it sticks!

Back