Do we need a roundtrip ticket on a Tourist Visa?

twoshoes

Registered
Hey there. We are leaving our home in the US next week to spend a couple of weeks in Chile and then flying into BsAs. We had planned on living in Argentina for about a year before coming home and living off savings while there. By reading this forum it seemed just fine to show up on a tourist visa and then apply for some kind of visa after we arrive in BA. (Perhaps like a rentista visa.)

Here is my concern. My wife just got off the phone with the Argentinian consulate here in the US and the consulate mentioned that we may be denied entry onto the plane from Santiago to BA because we only have a one way ticket.

Does anybody have anything to say if this is a real concern? I am willing to buy a flight ticket out at a later date if that is needed to satisfy boarder control/ airline gate attendant. Perhaps even cancel the ticket as soon as I land in BsAs. But we intend on leaving Argentina by car when we do finally leave.

Any thoughts?

I have never (since 2015) been questioned regarding a return trip..... they have only inquired as to where I will be staying....after I tired of my schedule being determined or restricted by the airlines inflexible and expensive demands, I booked on a one-way ticket....... I anticipated being asked about my return ..... since I planned to go to Uruguay anyway, I purchased a Buquebus ticket.....they never asked....they smiled, and welcomed me..... I think your last sentence might be an adequate explanation.

I have probably entered Argentina 30 or 40 times in the last fifteen years. Never once been asked to show a return ticket. Maybe they have some way of checking online, dunno, but its never come up.

I agree you are likely to be fine. if they do happen to ask (low chance) tell them you planned to travel to Uruguay by Buquebus or something.

The problem isn't so much with arrival in Argentina, it's with getting on board the plane. I have been asked to show a return ticket from Argentina on two occasions. The airlines are responsible for returning you to your point of departure at their own expense if you're denied entry to Argentina, so they take that part fairly seriously.

Some buy a flight BA to Montevideo for safe sake , which they cancel upon entering BA.

It does seem to depend on where you board. And the problem is, as some have pointed out, from the airline, at the airport of departure to Argentina. I have only ever boarded flights to Buenos Aires from Lima and Australia, and have never NOT been asked to produce residency proof or an onward ticket. The most recent occasion was four weeks ago.

This is easy to deal with if only for peace of mind. You can buy an onward flight on miles that you cancel later. You could buy a fully refundable ticket you cancel later. There are services that will purchase you a real ticket for a $7 to $10 fee which they will then cancel.

Depending on the airline you may be asked. For example, Copa is quite tough about these restrictions. I don’t know what they would say in the very plausible case where you might be taking a ferry to Uruguay, a bus to Paraguay, etc.

Back