Do we need a roundtrip ticket on a Tourist Visa?

To borrow a quote from Kurt Vonnegut Jr, welcome to the monkey house.

My experience: When I tried to check in with Copa America in the USA, they asked for a return ticket. I had to stand aside and purchase one on my phone, before they would let me check in. I canceled it later. From that point on I always had a return ticket ready to be canceled within 24 hours. I was never asked for a return ticket at the EZE customs. When I checked in with United in the USA, they never asked for a return ticket. The same was true with Aero Mexico, coming from Costa Rica. Same was true coming from USA with American. But all this might be because I did have a return ticket (canceled within 24 hours) and their system shows them if a passenger has a return ticket or not,

I really like to hear from people who didn't have return tickets and their check-in experience. Please let us know which airline.

Hey there,

I thought I would give an update for anybody in the future reading this thread. I landed in Santiago for a week. The gate attendant in Atlanta didn't ask for anything besides our tickets and passports. The passport control didn't ask for exit tickets (although we had them already). He just wanted birth certificates for the kids.

From Santiago to BsAs, gate attendant didn't ask for anything and passport control didn't even ask for birth certificates. I did ask him a little about boarder crossings and he said what I expected, they don't care much about visa runs until the time in country adds up to about 6 months, but he was super relaxed and very friendly.

We still don't have an exit plan for Argentina and nobody cared, but thanks to this forum I had a plan to quickly buy a ticket if it came to that. So for that I'm thankful.

Although I appreciate the forums, I think I read them too much and get over worried about every possible problem. Just my nature I guess.

Next week I think we look into getting our visas before our FBI background check time elapses.

Thanks again everyone.
Until some airline clerk at the ticket counter refuses to board you....then you will say...."jeez, if only I had listened to what the LAW is"....because the forum had all the real info. It is ALWAYS the boarding airline. I always thought this forum attracted the smartest people. What happened?

Until some airline clerk at the ticket counter refuses to board you....then you will say...."jeez, if only I had listened to what the LAW is"....because the forum had all the real info. It is ALWAYS the boarding airline.
A few years back I had a one-way flight out of Miami to EZE (Aerolineas Argentinas) and was given a rough time prior to boarding, even though I had a pensionado visa. This past March I again entered Argentina with a one-way ticket out of Atlanta (Delta). No visa but no issues whatsoever (I'm a permanent ARG resident but wasn't asked about that). Different airline or different luck or ???

Last edited:
A few years back I had a one-way flight out of Miami to EZE (Aerolineas Argentinas) and was given a rough time prior to boarding, even though I had a pensionado visa. This past March I again entered Argentina with a one-way ticket out of Atlanta (Delta). No visa but no issues whatsoever (I'm a permanent ARG resident but wasn't asked about that). Different airline or different luck or ???
I am from Atlanta so I often fly Delta from there to BA and I always get asked about a return ticket until I clarify that I'm a resident.

My experience: When I tried to check in with Copa America in the USA, they asked for a return ticket. I had to stand aside and purchase one on my phone, before they would let me check in. I canceled it later. From that point on I always had a return ticket ready to be canceled within 24 hours. I was never asked for a return ticket at the EZE customs. When I checked in with United in the USA, they never asked for a return ticket. The same was true with Aero Mexico, coming from Costa Rica. Same was true coming from USA with American. But all this might be because I did have a return ticket (canceled within 24 hours) and their system shows them if a passenger has a return ticket or not,

I really like to hear from people who didn't have return tickets and their check-in experience. Please let us know which airline.
Mine was Delta and Aerolineas Argentina.

I believe the suggestions about booking a return with miles or an outward journey on Buquebus would give you the most peace of mind. Having said said, it’s highly unlikely you’ll be asked. Bien viaje!

I am surprised this subject gets more conversation. Anyone who goes to the departing airport without a printed copy of a ticket out of the destination country is dumb. Just buy a ticket that is refundable separate from the departing ticket...using a credit card. If you don't have enough credit, stay home and get a better job.

Back