Do you consider this dishonest?

Could it be that it's marked correctly for the registers and incorrectly labeled at the shelf?

1200 for a half-kilo of La Morentina is more in line (though still more expensive) with what is charged where I am.

Could it be that it's marked correctly for the registers and incorrectly labeled at the shelf?

1200 for a half-kilo of La Morentina is more in line (though still more expensive) with what is charged where I am.
Given the fact that two varieties of La Morentina are offered and one is (on average) twice as expensive, I imagine that you are referring to the one in the $1000 to $1200 price range:

While the OP (original purchaser) who I seriously doubt would intentionally buy cafe torrado (at any price), is referrig to the one in the $220 to'$2400

If that's the case, and the store offers both products, it might provide a reason to believe that the wrong price was programed ito the store's system which resulted in the cafe colombia being erroneously priced at the correct price of the cafe torrada.

I just bought 3 500g bags of the latter on Mercad Libre with free shipping to my house:

It is very good (sugar free) coffee and I will not only enjoy the lower price (knowingly offered by the seller) and the free shippping, I will enjoy drinking the coffee guilt free as well. 🤠

Makes sense. That second, sugar free, option you linked to isn't in my local Super. Costs 1.100 for delivery. I just switched back to mate, but I may have to start looking harder to find something not torrado at a decent price, as I do enjoy my coffee.

Makes sense. That second, sugar free, option you linked to isn't in my local Super. Costs 1.100 for delivery.

As a level 5 (out of 6) buyer on Mercado Libre, I qualified for free delivery when I bought three bags of 500 grams each.

If I only boguht one or two bags, the cost of delivery would have been reduced from $1.105 to $884 pesos.

The coffee is already in stock in the ML distribution center and the package will be on its way on Sunday night.

Delivery is "promised" for Tuesday or Wednesday, but there is about a 90% chance the package will be delivered on Monday.

I just switched back to mate, but I may have to start looking harder to find something not torrado at a decent price, as I do enjoy my coffee.

I stopped drinking mate in the first few months of the plandemic. Instead, I make my own herbal tea mixture using, green tea, dried dandelion (dente de leon), and dred moringa and cuelo de caballo.

I buy all four ingreedients in one kilo packages on Mercado Libre and I usually buy enough of each (two or three time a year) to get free shipping.

Coffee is pretty hard on an empty stomach, so I almost always start the day with tea that I make in a 1000ml French press.

I never add any sweetner to the tea,only fresh lemon juice from lemons that I pick from a tree I planted ten years ago,

Later I have coffee and I always add unsalted butter to it, never milk, cream, or any sweetners.

PS: This is all 100% KETO (which I started in March of 2020) friendly.

PS2: Now that I know about the health benefits of the ingredients of the tea I drink, I will never switch back to mate.

Last edited:
As a level 5 (out of 6) buyer on Mercado Libre, I qualified for free delivery when I bought three bags of 500 grams each.

If I only boguht one or two bags, the cost of delivery would have been reduced from $1.105 to $884 pesos.

The coffee is already in stock in the ML distribution center and the package will be on its way on Sunday night.

Delivery is "promised" for Tuesday or Wednesday, but there is about a 90% chance the package will be delivered on Monday.

I stopped drinking mate in the first few months of the plandemic. Instead, I make my own herbal tea mixture using, green tea, dried dandelion (dente de leon), and dred moringa and cuelo de caballo.

I buy all four ingreedients in one kilo packages on Mercado Libre and I usually buy enough of each (two or three time a year) to get free shipping.

Coffee is pretty hard on an empty stomach, so I almost always start the day with tea that I make in a 1000ml French press.

I never add any sweetner to the tea,only fresh lemon juice from lemons that I pick from a tree I planted ten years ago,

Later I have coffee and I always add unsalted butter to it, never milk, cream, or any sweetners.

PS: This is all 100% KETO (which I started in March of 2020) friendly.

PS2: Now that I know about the health benefits of the ingredients of the tea I drink, I will never switch back to mate.

butter in coffee !!!!!......that is a new one for me....I have been drinking at least 2 pots of coffee a day on 3 different continents since I was 13,....and now I hear about this.....I have to check this out .... thanks....as to the original post.....integrity should be the lynchpin of action....I certainly would not compromise my integrity for a few pesos.

otherwise known as bulletproof coffee. i would do it if i could get kerrygold butter here!

are you using some local butter steve?

butter in coffee !!!!!......that is a new one for me....I have been drinking at least 2 pots of coffee a day on 3 different continents since I was 13,....and now I hear about this.....I have to check this out .... thanks....

If I understand correctly, butter (especially if made from grass fed cows) produces a much lower insulin response than milk or cream. MCT and coconut oil may be even better regarding insulin, but I don't use either of them (yet).

Of course it is important NOT to use coffee torrada which has added sugar. About a year ago I drank two cups of coffee made wth cafe torrada La Virginia with buter. An hour later I went to the nearby clinic and had my blood sugar tested. It was almost 140. Based on previous and recent tests it's close to 80 in the morning (after fasting since 8 pm the night before).

as to the original post.....integrity should be the lynchpin of action....I certainly would not compromise my integrity for a few pesos.

Interesting that you mentioned the age of 13. When I read the first post in this thread I immediately wondered why a man in his mid to late sixties would ask a question that I was taught (by my parents) the answer to by the age of twelve. Later in life I learned the expression "lying by omission" and that's an action for which I would consider myself "culpable" if I was undercharged for any item in any store, especially if I was aware of it at the time of purchase, and did not say anything about it right then and there.

I would cosider myself (and subsequently feel) twice as guilty if I willfully repeated the purchase, knowing the item was obviously (or most likely) seriously underpriced in error. It's physically "different" from shoplifting, but the result is the same: a financial loss to the merchant by means of a purposeful deception.

PS: When I was 23 I met a man 14 years my senior who would become my mentor and closest friend in all of my (so far) 72 years. The most important sentence I ever heard him say was, "There's no such thing as too honest." When I was 32 he introduced me to the expression "When we are wrong, promptly admit it."

I can say without a doubt that my life has been much better thanks to is friendship and his wisdom and I am grateful to him (as well as my parents) that I don't have to rely on the opinions of strangers in an online forum to help me decide what's right or wrong.

PS: I am not claiming perfection, but I always do whatever I can to correct any errors I (or others) have made, especially if the error resulted a loss of any kind to either party. This recently included telling a local store owner that she failed to charge me for a "maple" of eggs (30) during my previous visit.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to polish my halo. 😇

Last edited:
Given the fact that two varieties of La Morentina are offered and one is (on average) twice as expensive, I imagine that you are referring to the one in the $1000 to $1200 price range:

While the OP (original purchaser) who I seriously doubt would intentionally buy cafe torrado (at any price), is referrig to the one in the $220 to'$2400

If that's the case, and the store offers both products, it might provide a reason to believe that the wrong price was programed ito the store's system which resulted in the cafe colombia being erroneously priced at the correct price of the cafe torrada.

I just bought 3 500g bags of the latter on Mercad Libre with free shipping to my house:

It is very good (sugar free) coffee and I will not only enjoy the lower price (knowingly offered by the seller) and the free shippping, I will enjoy drinking the coffee guilt free as well. 🤠
The current lowest price for the 500 gr bag of La Morenita without sugar is ofered by the same seller in the second link for $2.584 and it is now in stock in the Mercado Libre shipping center.

This means it can be combined with other items in the shoping cart and qualify for free shipping.

The link in my post of Sept 25 was automitically updated when I quoted it here. The price was $1.864 pesos five months ago, so it has increased in price by about 37% (if purchased from the same seller).

The highest current price for the same coffee is $3.978 and there are several other listings between the lowest and the highest, none of which are in the ML shipping center.

That means the difference in price for the coffee today is about 50% more for highest price bag than the lowest, so you can save a lot by comparrison shoping (using the "buscar" feature of Mercado Libre).

PS: And once added to the cart, the price will not be lower at the check out, so everyone can take advantage of the lowest price they can find and can be happy with the purchase with a clear conscious, proud of being a smart (aka bargain) shopper. 🤠

I suppose the coffee served in cafes, even the most expensive ones, is made from coffee toasted with sugar. What about Nespresso? It''s served in a few places.

Compras en el chino. Saco de medio kilo de La Morenita (café) está marcado 2370 pesos. Me acerco a la caja registradora, y escanea a 1200 pesos. Pago el precio pedido, lo dejo en mi changito , que estacioné junto a la puerta, y vuelvo a buscar otro. Nuevamente escanea a 1200 pesos. No digo nada, pago el precio solicitado y me voy.

¿Considera que esto es deshonesto o éticamente cuestionable?

Confieso que tuve sentimientos encontrados. El lado recto de mi naturaleza recuerda La Regla de Oro. Pero mi lado de "comerciante yanqui" piensa que caveat emptor funciona en ambos sentidos. Si fuera una cadena corporativa, no lo pensaría dos veces. Pero esto es una pequeña empresa. Mi conciencia está un poco preocupada por lo que hice. ¿Qué piensas ?
Coto supermarket, La Morenita 1Kgs $2.500 (ONE KG) yesterday.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Expat Life 14
Back