Do you wear a diamond engagement ring?

voyagingknoxvillian

Registered
Hello ladies - I have plans to marry an Argentinian in the coming year and settle down in the city of Cordoba. On a recent trip back to the States, my mom gave me her diamond engagement ring to wear. It's just one small diamond on a thin gold band, nothing flashy, but it's still much larger than the traditional gold wedding band worn here.

I would like to wear the ring but I am nervous of being targeted for theft. My suegra and expat friends are freaked out by my desire to wear the ring everyday, and have advised me to save it for special occasions. I admit feeling nervous the few times I have worn it, but I think that thieves are more interested in my purse than any jewelry.

Should I wear the ring on a regular basis? Do you have an advice? If you wear a diamond engagement ring, have you been targeted by criminals? If you have a ring but don't wear it, why not?

Thanks so much for your replies.

voyagingknoxvillian said:
but I am nervous of being targeted for theft.

You already answered your own question. If you're nervous being targeted for theft, then don't wear it. You already know it's not common here on a daily basis or at all, otherwise you wouldn't be asking. Sounds like you already made a decision. As far as Cordoba goes, I have no idea. Congratulations.

If you like the ring, don't wear it unless you're going to generally safe areas... in a car, accompanied, to spend time with people you know. :)

Diamond rings are not common here at all and very expensive... I personally wouldn't want to risk loosing the ring or catching some chorro's attention. That said, I do wear my simple gold jewelry which consists of a couple rings and small earrings and never had any issues. ;) Knock on wood.

Chances are the ring itself won't cause you to get robbed (I'm not sure how keen of an eye thieves have when it comes to jewelry, considering costume jewelry is quite popular here), but you never know when you will cross paths with a thief who simply takes everything you have... :p it happens rather often and unexpectedly... and your ring may end up lost along with your other valuables.

I wear a ring daily with diamonds in the band, but only halfway around, and I turn it to the plain side when I am on the train, subway, etc. When I've had friends visit, I always strongly suggest they leave their nice jewelry at home. I'm guessing you would be devastated to lose your mom's ring, so I would not wear it except in specific situations.

I wear a ring daily with small diamonds in the band, but only halfway around, and I turn it to the plain side when I am on the train, subway, etc. When I've had friends visit, I always strongly suggest they leave their nice jewelry at home. I'm guessing you would be devastated to lose your mom's ring, so I would not wear it except in specific situations.

When my husband bought my engagement ring he asked if I wanted a big diamond that would then live in the safe except on very special occasions, or would I like a smaller, cheap diamond that I could wear every day. I decided on the smaller one, there seemed no point in having an engagement ring if I can't wear it!
I turn it around inside my hand when walking through areas I don't like so much and always leave it at home when going places like La Boca.
However, my ring was bought specifically to wear around BA. If it were a ring of sentimental value from my family, I would not wear it because I would just never be able to stop worrying about it.

My engagement ring has diamonds in it and I wear it every day, every where. It's a pave setting rather than one large diamond so while it shines and sparkles it doesn't scream ROB ME. I've always felt safe but then I barely go into the centro centro, staying mainly on the suburb areas of the city. The rare times I am in retiro or the train, I just do what many above said, and turn it around to hide the diamonds. I feel safe and have the attitude that I don't want fear of what may happen keep me from wearing what is important to me.

That said, your ring does have the family sentimental value so be careful. While I haven't ever heard of any stories of robbings due to rings, I have heard countless first hand stories of necklaces being ripped right off peoples necks and one of those was a grandmothers heirloom necklace and the woman was heartbroken. Just feel the situation out for yourself once you arrive and do what you feel is best for you.

Thanks for all the feedback, ladies. I would definitely be crushed if the ring was stolen...That was a good idea about getting a smaller ring just so you feel comfortable wearing it around town.

Back