Doctors fees

paulo

Registered
I am coming to see if BA is someplace I could retire to. Meanwhile, am wondering if there was any advice here about buying eyeglasses or getting prescription orthotics for my shoes. Hoping this would be much cheaper here. Sounds pretty Middle aged, doesn't it! Not really planning on dentist visits this trip, though I have had implants in the Dominican Republic which were very affordable. Or really, any perspectives on obtaining medical services (I started with services which as some of us know are not covered by Medicare in the USA)
Cheers,
P.

I got custom orthotics made here, paying cash a couple years ago. Was under $100 for 2 pairs. Given the inflation in dollars I assume it will be double that if not more, still cheaper than in the US.

I am coming to see if BA is someplace I could retire to. Meanwhile, am wondering if there was any advice here about buying eyeglasses or getting prescription orthotics for my shoes. Hoping this would be much cheaper here. Sounds pretty Middle aged, doesn't it! Not really planning on dentist visits this trip, though I have had implants in the Dominican Republic which were very affordable. Or really, any perspectives on obtaining medical services (I started with services which as some of us know are not covered by Medicare in the USA)
Cheers,
P.
As far as custom orthotics.....I have no idea what is available here. I have used........Natural Foot Orthotics off Amazon for decades and they last and last....maybe for ten years. I realize you may need custom. The custom products years ago were junk. And keep in mind....Medical expenses are a toss-up right now with the currency changes. Don't look for any bargains.

I strongly recommend that you go to Turkey for those dental treatments as it’s a lot more expensive in Argentina. As per retiring here; until 6 months ago it was a pensioners paradise but that started to change. Prices going up even in dollars.

Glasses are relatively cheap here compared to the US -- mine were less than $100 with frames, if I remember correctly, though certainly you could pay more if you wanted fancier frames, coatings, etc. Replacing the lenses in a pair of Rx sunglasses I already had cost about $30. You have to get a prescription from an opthamologist, but then you can take it to any of the many opticas around the city to buy glasses.

You might find this thread helpful: https://baexpats.org/threads/medical-expenses-in-buenos-aires.46189/

I got custom orthotics made here, paying cash a couple years ago. Was under $100 for 2 pairs. Given the inflation in dollars I assume it will be double that if not more, still cheaper than in the US.
My wife had custom orthotics measured at the Dr Scholls in Belgrano and fabricated a couple of weeks ago, to replace the pair of 500$+ ones she had made in Manhattan before COVID that were worn out.

The two pairs cost either 20 or 40 dollars

My wife had custom orthotics measured at the Dr Scholls in Belgrano and fabricated a couple of weeks ago, to replace the pair of 500$+ ones she had made in Manhattan before COVID that were worn out.

The two pairs cost either 20 or 40 dollars
Oh nice! I assume she's happy with them/would recommend them?

Glasses are relatively cheap here compared to the US -- mine were less than $100 with frames, if I remember correctly, though certainly you could pay more if you wanted fancier frames, coatings, etc. Replacing the lenses in a pair of Rx sunglasses I already had cost about $30. You have to get a prescription from an opthamologist, but then you can take it to any of the many opticas around the city to buy glasses.

You might find this thread helpful: https://baexpats.org/threads/medical-expenses-in-buenos-aires.46189/
$100 glasses? Frames cost $100...or more.

Oh nice! I assume she's happy with them/would recommend them?
She’s still getting used to them, but does like them. The podiatrist there speaks no English but communicated with our work-in-progress Spanish and his translation app, a really nice guy. I’m getting some (even though I don’t really need them) when he’s back from vacation

Thank you everyone. I did find a reasonably priced optician on Cabildo and also a foot person on the same street. Fingers crossed (or toes crossed, or eyes crossed) that the work will be done quickly enough, ie before I leave. Will let you all know how thia turns out.

Now, however, I do need a dentist after all because my crown fell off of a molar while I was enjoying a piece of cheese, lol. I just want it temporarily glued in. I tried to find one place but there is no sign downstairs. Am in Palermo next two days and then in San Telmo.

Back