Doctor's Letter Needed For Gym?

Regulations are getting tighter too. The tango school (and hotel) I go to had to remove their pool as a new law says there has to be a doctor on the premises at all times. It was only a plunge pool and had only been there a few years too...

i joined the megatlon less than two weeks ago for a month long gig. i did not need to get anything from a doctor.

Hi Steve,

If you have a doctor already who has seen you on a 'regular' basis just ask him/her for the form. You don't need an appointment for it, it is most likely free.

The form just says:
Dra. xyz
He asistido al paciente Parvati de 38, quien se encuentra en el presente dia en buen estado de salud y apto para realizar actividad fisica y deportiva de acuerdo a su edad y contextura fisica.
Signed and her professional license number.

Some gyms have doctors of their own who can see you and thus guarantee you are in shape. BAires Up charges 90 pesos if you don't have a doctor to get this little letter, and be sure you are in top shape. Still, as many have said you can say 'oh I forgot, I'll bring it tomorrow' and get away with it. I am so disorganized that I gave in mine after 4 months of working out there. No biggie.
Cheers
Parvati

You do need it, I just go a regular gym del barrio and my husband is friends with the owner's, they are strict about the letters just on the off chance of an inspection of the facilities. The odds are slim of that happening but just in case they make sure to have the letters from everyone. My mother in law is a psychiatrist and wrote me my letter for the past three years (I've had to renew it every year), so honestly anyone can write it if you know someone that's a doctor.

When I went to Megatlon they gave me a 2 week window to get the letter before they would block me from entering the gym which is policy apparently but they didn't offer that up until I threw a little fit about having paid in full and now was blocked from using what I paid for.

I went to a grimy local gym for a while, and they required it.
If you have a health plan this is covered and makes more sense then to go to the gym´s doctor for a fee.
I have hospital britanico and they did my EKG in about 5 minutes, no need to make an appointment even.

My gym requires an ergonomics test and an EKG with the every new year. I had mine done last week. (FYI $200.00 pesos)
They want to make sure you're not going to drop dead in the middle of a work out.
I also have to pass a monthly physical were they examine my feet, hands, crotch & armpits !!!...

I don't care,... as long as they let me use the pool !!! ;)

As usual, excellent and comprehensive range of info. Thanks all,

I got mine written by a relative of my then boyfriend, who's a shrink (and needs one herself, might i add, but thats another story). She just wrote i was fine, and signed it, no tests done. So i get the feeling any semi-professional looking piece of paper will do.

This health letter is really bullshit.

Either you are fit or not fit to go to a gym.

No one can state on your behalf, that Mr x /y/z is fit to go to a gym

Total Bollocks.

Back