Prescriptions filled in BA from US Doctor's

LeslieMac

Registered
My family is moving to Argentina (La Plata) in a few months, does anyone know if it will be possible to get a US Doctors prescription fill at an Argentine Pharmacy? We do plan you getting insurance as soon as possible, but would like to have our important meds able to be filled as soon as we get there. Thanks for any help!

My experience with that process was dismal. They wanted an Argentinian Rx. If you need an MD I can give you my doctors phone. Best wishes for the New Yr....Painter

LeslieMac said:
My family is moving to Argentina (La Plata) in a few months, does anyone know if it will be possible to get a US Doctors prescription fill at an Argentine Pharmacy? We do plan you getting insurance as soon as possible, but would like to have our important meds able to be filled as soon as we get there. Thanks for any help!

Dumb question, but why don't you have them filled there and bring them along with you? Perhaps a one or two months supply until you can get something started at this end.

LeslieMac said:

I think the answer is... it depends.

If I understand correctly, farmacias will supply, over the counter, any meds which have a physical, not psychological, effect. I've bought any meds I've needed over the counter and used any Rx from a UK doctor merely to ensure I'm buying the right thing. For anything else, I believe you will need an Rx from an Argentine doctor. There are various discounts available in different farmacias which depend on which hospital/doctor has written the script and/or which health plan you subscribe to. These are generally displayed in the window but you can always ask. Without the discount you will pay the full over-the-counter price but my experience has been that price is lower in Argentina than it is in the UK

Back