Does anybody know what these are called here and where can I buy them???

i forgot about sheikob's, they make awesome bagels with schmear

I found this place on ML that sells flexible magnetized strips by the meter. I think I’m going to try to make one from scratch with some large jar lids. The store is in nearby Once, paging the Macgyver in me…!!!

Last edited:
Some things just don't exist here. I noted that the grabber sticks used by all seniors in the USA also don't exist here, that I have ever seen.
There's no cream cheese.
There's no sour cream.
How the hell can a country with so many Russians not have sour cream?
Cream cheese = Mendicrim
Philadelphia you find it at Barrio Chino, Disco, Carrefour.
We do sour cream at home. Simple.

Cream cheese = Mendicrim
Philadelphia you find it at Barrio Chino, Disco, Carrefour.
We do sour cream at home. Simple.
Apparently discussed many years back in https://baexpats.org/threads/sour-cream.11499. There should be sour cream (aka. "crème fraiche", "crema agria") here but like buttermilk it seems to be unobtainable. In other countries "crema agria" might come in a squeezable tube, that wouldn't work for Mendicrim or Philadelphia, I think.

I tried Mendicrim, and its tasty, but it's not cream cheese. And IIRC it has hydrogenated oil, which i try very hard not to eat.

I haven't seen Philadelphia, but we don't have a fullsize Carrefour here downtown, just a Carrefour Express every block and a half ;/

In any case, it would seem I need to watch the Chef John video on how to make Creme Fraiche. I'd love to be able to make stroganoff.

Back