Does Anyone Still Make Visa Runs?

Keep in mind, most of the worry about them not letting you in is related to some information we had about a year ago that some people were not being let back in (plus an occasional anecdote over the years where people have had problems, but very few and far between). In fact, while there were maybe one or two "gringos" (I use the term loosely mostly to denote expats from non-SA countries like US, Canada, Europe, etc) that were involved in the problem, the two "high-profile" cases were from other Latin countries in this hemisphere (the DR was one, and it seems like Peru or maybe Colombia was the other?).

I don't think you'll have any problems whatsoever, except having to spend time and money to do something that you already know you shouldn't have to do, given your status.

Having said all of that, there is always a very, very, very slight possibility that they may initiate some kind of immigrations case against you. As I understand things (from bajo_cero's posts more than a year ago related to this) in order for them to actually keep you from entering on your return trip, the immigrations officials have to initiate a complaint to an immigrations judge, and that judge can issue an order to you that you have 30 days to regularize your immigrations status. The paper will be sent to the address you declare on your immigrations forms when entering Argentina. If you don't regularize your status within 30 days of the issuance of the letter, the next time you leave and try to re-enter, you could (or probably "would") be stopped and not allowed to enter.

I think it is a near-zero % chance that you have already been issued such a letter because you seem to be recently doing this, as well as having visited immigrations for an extension, so the worst case scenario is you might get issued the letter for regularization after this trip, but it's so highly unlikely that would happen that I wouldn't worry about that either.

Thanks Queso! Perfect mixture of facts and comforting words, just what I was looking for! It's just an unpleasant situation to be in, but I feel slightly more reassured now... and anyway, the ferry is tomorrow morning so there's nothing else to be done :)

One of the cases where an expats was denied the entry was Canadian. But those issues happend at Eze.

You don't need to renew it.

With a working contract you can go with your employer to edificio 5 first floor to Control de Permanencia and start the procedure to get your precaria. Meanwhile they can apply to hire foreigners.

I don't think that they are going to do it.

You don't need to renew it.

With a working contract you can go with your employer to edificio 5 first floor to Control de Permanencia and start the procedure to get your precaria. Meanwhile they can apply to hire foreigners.

I don't think that they are going to do it.

As many have reported on this forum, unfortunately the facts are not having much/any impact on my argentine employer. Ticket is booked and I am off tomorrow morning for 24 hours... I guess I'd rather risk immigration than get fired outright - although, to be charitable, i don't think it's a case of my employer being 100% callous (they've been lovely otherwise, and I'll still get paid for the days I miss) as much as being unfamiliar with the ins and outs of immigration law.

Update: As you all told me it would be, it was painless. We had a lovely 26 hours in Colonia and didn't get asked a single question on the way back. In fact, the woman giving us our exit stamp on the way out of BA went out of her way to remind us "hoy NO! Mañana SI!" for our return... apparently everyone is relaxed about the visa run being a fact of life... except for me :)

After my 2nd Visa run to Paysandu Uruguay, customs said it was the last time they were going to reknew my tourist visa for entry. Luckily, my wife and I had a good friend, who is a lawyer here in Argentina ended up being close personal friends with the boss over at the "Ministerio del Interior y Transporte"

Also the Gendermes pulled me off the Bus and hit me up for $100 pesos for overstaying my visa by 1 day.....I'm sure they enjoyed the asado later that evening LOL..

So back to the interior ministries office with our lawyer friend...

A quick visit, with some brief discussion about the family, work and a fishing trip to Bariloche...."BAMN!!" CASE CLOSED!

I walked out of their with everything I needed for my radicaccion...and no "coime" necessary! I just love how things work here....the more important people you know in the right places here in Arg, the quicker things get done LOL.

Although the bulk of the paperwork still took me a year....

Back