Does Anyone Still Make Visa Runs?

cosmolat

Registered
I've been told my my argentine employer that I "must" make a trip to Uruguay to renew my tourist visa before they will help me obtain a dni. The visa expires tomorrow, the 13th,so we booked a ticket and will be returning the next day, the 14th.

I got a 90 day extension stamp at migraciones in march. How worried should I be that I won't be able to get back in? I can pring email print outs proving that I work for an argentine company,and proof of an upcoming turno at migraciones for a dni... anyone have any educated guesses about how this will go? It was an unexpected twist and I'm feeling a little worried. Thank you all, as usual!!

Depends upon how many "visa runs" you've made in the past. Someone else might know better than me but I don't think I'd volunteer the information about your work situation. Your current visa is a tourist visa. As far as I know you are not allowed to work on a tourist visa. That would probably be a flag. Typically, you are better off staying in-country. Why does your employer require you to make a visa run? That doesn't make sense to me.

Depends upon how many "visa runs" you've made in the past. Someone else might know better than me but I don't think I'd volunteer the information about your work situation. Your current visa is a tourist visa. As far as I know you are not allowed to work on a tourist visa. That would probably be a flag. Typically, you are better off staying in-country. Why does your employer require you to make a visa run? That doesn't make sense to me.

I don't have any other visa runs. I arrived in November andonly renewed once at migraciones.
I don't know why they want me to either. I thinkthey arejust covering their ass,because it's "not legal to work with an expired visa," they say, but of course it's not legal to work with a tourist visa at all. Basically, I have to go and get it renewed or I can "no longer continue working." :(

I think your situation is difficult. The problem with working illegally (in addition to not paying taxes) is that you have limited rights.

I
I think your situation is difficult. The problem with working illegally (in addition to not paying taxes) is that you have limited rights.
Agreed. They will legalize me once my probation period is up in a month, it is just unfortunate my visa expires before that time.

I haven't heard anything positive or negative about running to Colonia in quite some time -presumably if there were a spate of expats being held up, we would hear about it here. In your opinion (or anyone else's!), what is the likelihood that I (a bonde girl with two stamps... if that makes a difference) am going to get given some sortof ultimatum?

If you got a 90-day extension at Migraciones in March, why do you need to do a visa run already?

I agree with GS Dirtboy, don't say anything about your job. Also, don't expect that your looks will help you...they can just as easily hurt you if you get the wrong immigration officer. Whatever you do, if you do get stopped, don't start acting entitled because you are a foreigner with resources. They could care less if you own the world. In Argentina, making a scene doesn't really impress anyone or embarrass people into doing what you want.

sorry, I meant towrite february. I don't expect special treatment-I know this is technically breaking the law and it's lucky to be let through. Ijust wanted to hear about others' recent experiences.

sorry, I meant towrite february. I don't expect special treatment-I know this is technically breaking the law and it's lucky to be let through. Ijust wanted to hear about others' recent experiences.

Unless the extension you got in February actually says "ultima prorroga" you shouldn't have a problem.

I've never heard of a border official giving anyone "some kind of ultimatum" but I a few have posted that they were "scolded" by the agent as they received a new stamp.

The only "ultimatium" a border agent might be able to give is an ultima prorroga, but I don't recall anyone saying that this happened to them at the border.

Your employer gains no legal protection by making you get a new tourist visa and you don't actually have to have a current 90 day visa when you apply for residency based on work (aka a "work visa').

Thanks Steve! You've helped me so many times with stuff like this.I've told them repeatedly that I don't actually need to go and that it's possible to legalize one's status without a current tourist visa, but they were very confused and kept insisting this is the only way. At this point it's Uruguay or no job, not sure which is worse haha...

I had a somewhat similar situation a few years ago, although I know things could have changed (although I didn't have a job in BA). I went to Migraciones for the extension stamp (nightmare!) and then did a visa run to Colonia three months later. No problem at all. I think it would look better to have gone through official channels to get the extension rather than to only have a bunch of one day trips to Uruguay in your passport.

Ironically, after I waited 6+ hours at Migraciones to get the stamp, the officer asked me why I didn't just go to Colonia for the day and helpfully reminded me of the closest Buquebus office to buy tickets. Who says those government workers aren't helpful?? ;)

Back