Does Dr. Pepper exist in Argentina?

bigbadwolf said:
Only in the USA. That's because the US government places high tariffs on imported sugar (since 1977), effectively doubling the price of sugar in the US market compared to the world price, and so the major soft-drinks manufacturers switched from sugar to HFCS in 1984. That it's arguably even more dangerous than sugar is something the US government doesn't give a rat's a$$ about.

Sort of contradicts our emphasis on "free trade" doesn't it.

dr__dawggy said:
Sort of contradicts our emphasis on "free trade" doesn't it.

Yes, it's complete bollocks. Anyway, bought two bottles of "Throwback" Pepsi today (i.e., made with real sugar). Have to hunt for them, though, with no guarantee of success.

Ashley said:
There is no doctor pepper in BA... I've been looking for root-beer and other off-the-beaten-track food products here for almost 10 years and can assure you that it just doesn't exist.
The soft drinks available here (Coke, Sprite, Fanta, etc) aren't imported, but manufactured in Argentina. I think that selection is limited because there is just no demand for new products...people are happy with what they have and aren't so willing to try new things. Import restrictions don't help (though I can't for the life of me work out how those el paso Mexican products, Twinnings tea, Lindt chocolate get through and so much other stuff just doesn't).
A version of root-beer is available, however, in Barrio chino. I think it's from Taiwan and it's called something like Ho-Chin Sasparilla - its in a crimson/brownish coloured can. Its not an exact match (less sweet, slightly more bitter) but desperate times...

They definitely had dr pepper in jumbo a few years ago. it was only cans though and they weren't cheap.

Found yesterday in a little shop in puerto madero a few cans of Dr Pepper Diet, I really don't get why only diet and not the normal one, will be going back to check if they get the real one instead...

would you mind posting the name/address of that shop. Does it have any other imported products besides Dr Pepper?
xx

I have never seen Dr. Pepper here, but I found some in La Paz, Bolivia over a trip for Christmas break and bought 4 or 5 cans for about a dollar a can at one of the major grocery stores, Hipermaxi Los Pinos I believe. They also had grape soda!

I was actually surprised how many more American products I found in Bolivia that are not available here. I hear that they are easier to come by in other capitals, such as Santiago de Chile. This doesnt give you much hope, but if you ever decide to take a side trip within South America, you might plan to pack an extra bag for food "finds."

We lived in Santa Cruz, Bolivia for 3 years. We were there about a half a year ago. And yes, HyperMaxi Stores in Santa Cruz, still had Dr. Pepper. As Emily said, They're about $1U.S. a can. Also A&W root beer, Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Welch's, Sunkist Orange, MinuteMaid Lemonaid, Betty Crocker Cake Mixes, frostings in little plastic tubs, Bisquick, all sort of U.S. sauces, ketchups, Hershey's Baking Powder, Toll House cookie dough mix, different U.S. brownie mixes, ice cream shell syrups and sauces. Of course, these are all health foods that the Doc recomends! :) It all makes the mouth water and drool.:eek:

Back