Does my background check expire? - WORK VISA

QBAlady

Registered
Hello fellow, helpful expats!

I had my US background check done and aposillated a while ago, back in March/April. At that time I also had my Argentine background check and proof of residency done at that time. In the meantime, my employer was doing their part of the paperwork, and we are just now about to get the contract done, etc.

My question is whether or not these documents expire? I'd like to know that before getting translations and the like.

Thanks for your help!

They do expire. Check the documents and if you have left the country and traveled to the US since they were completed, you will have to do them again. This is based on my experience.

You will definitely need a new certificado de domicilio and penales antecedentes (proof of residency and Argentine background check). If you haven't been back to the USA your FBI report may be accepted. I would certainly submit it if this is the case. Aside from the FBI report, what other docs do you think need to be translated?

As said by Steve and NYC expat they do expire. I have had this experience as well. 3 months is the time frame.

As Steve said, you could give it a go of submitting it?

I am not sure how it works in the US, but I was able to apply online to the Australian Federal Police (scanned and sent all the application forms through) and it was then on sent to me here.

Migraciones here actually sent me a letter, basically telling me it was out of date and had to present myself at migraciones within 10 days with the valid certificate. I rocked up there (with my immigration lawyer) and presented evidence I had resubmitted to Aust Fed Police with emails evidencing receipt and expected time frame. Then once it arrived I had to get it translated.

Anyhoo, migraciones gave me 2 extensions of 30 days while got it all organised again.

Not sure if you can apply for it online and do that in the states but it should work. Note this was all going on late last year.

I was told by three separate migraciones officers (in January) that the FBI background check had no expiration date as long as I hadn't been back to the US in the meantime. I got my visa in January 2012 with a background check from June 2011. No problems. Who knows what it's like these days, but it's certainly worth a try.

Back