does overstaying tourist visa affect chances work visa?

selena

Registered
Hi everyone,

Two questions related to changing a tourist visa into a work visa:

I'm currently in Buenos Aires on a tourist visa, which has been extended 3 times already, and looking into applying for a work visa. However, as far as I can tell, I will have to apply for a work visa from within my own country (not while I already am in Argentina). Anyone know if that's really the case?

If I overstay my tourist visa for a few months, leave for my own country and apply for a workvisa from there, does anybody know if the having overstayed a tourist visa will affect my changes of getting a work visa?

Thanks a lot for any information you can help me with,

Selena

No - you can do everything here for the work visa. I don't know about outstaying a visa affecting the chance of getting a visa. I left often the country often enough for it never to be a problem.

My toursit visa was overstayed when I applied for my work visa. There were no problems. The gestor that our company uses said not to worry about it. I don't know if he pulls strings or if that is the norm however.

If you get a work visa you'll likely get someone to "pull strings" for you. Which basically amounts to an official being paid to hurry things along and get you legit quickly.

I wouldn't worry, and you definitely don't have to apply for a work visa from your home country.

erindanelle said:
My toursit visa was overstayed when I applied for my work visa. There were no problems. The gestor that our company uses said not to worry about it. I don't know if he pulls strings or if that is the norm however.
I'm guessing that he does.

This reminds me of when a guy I was talking to told me that someone in his office was bringing back electronics from the States.

I asked: "But doesn't he have to pay taxes because he's Argentine?"

Response: "No, he's got a guy in customs."

Follow up: "XXXXXX has a guy in customs?" :eek:

Response: "Everybody's got 'a guy' in customs."

:cool:

If you already have a number of "renewal" stamps in your passport and you are (almost) ready to apply for a work visa, why would you flaunt the law now? It might not make any difference, but why take the risk? Is it that you would need to leave the country for the next renewal as opposed to going to migraciones and just don't want to make the trip? That's completely understandable, but unless your immigration attorney or gestor specifically tells you it's OK, I wouldn't do it. You can also ask migraciones, but you might even get conflicting answers from them if you call twice.

I do believe that if you submit the necessary papers to migraciones prior to the expiration of your current 90 day visa, it won't be necessary to renew. I've heard many stories of corruption in customs, but not in migraciones. One member of this forum made a number of posts about knowing someone who was able to get clients permanent residency (obviously for a fee), but that person is no longer posting using that name. I don't recall a single post by anyone who said they had anyone "pull strings" in order to get a work visa. If you qualify for it and your papers are in order, you will get the visa.

My application got rushed through, and I got given a price list for how quickly I could get a DNI. Given that the actual work involved someone accompanying me to migraciones and telling someone to stamp a document, I'm a little dubious on how legit the fast tracking was.

I have a friend who was given a price to "overlook" his lack of official documentation. It does happen sadly, but obviously its preferable to have all your docs and affairs in order so that you don't have to go through the back door.

jp said:
My application got rushed through, and I got given a price list for how quickly I could get a DNI. Given that the actual work involved someone accompanying me to migraciones and telling someone to stamp a document, I'm a little dubious on how legit the fast tracking was.

I have a friend who was given a price to "overlook" his lack of official documentation. It does happen sadly, but obviously its preferable to have all your docs and affairs in order so that you don't have to go through the back door.

How fast was "rushed through" (regarding the visa) and how much were you quoted for the DNI (if there was a list does that mean there were different prices for different waiting times)?

It was pretty much done on the day, there was a lot of faffing, nothing got done for weeks and then on the day my temporary visa was going to expire we just waltzed to the front of the queue and had everything done there and then.

From memory the price list was 1200 for 2 week turnaround, 600 for a month and 300 for 3 months. Failing that you just waited for the system to give you your DNI, which seemed to involve about a year wait. Not sure what happened over the last year though, I think the system changed in terms of what strings can be pulled.

There's some murky goings on in migraciones, some of it is just greasing the wheels but there's an uglier side to other people's stories.

jp said:
From memory the price list was 1200 for 2 week turnaround, 600 for a month and 300 for 3 months. Failing that you just waited for the system to give you your DNI, which seemed to involve about a year wait. Not sure what happened over the last year though, I think the system changed in terms of what strings can be pulled.

Is this in US $$$?

I think that I could do the 3 month thing. I'm in no hurry, but it would be kind of cool to be close to the upper levels of humanity.

Back