dog advise

katti

Registered
We are considering to get ourselves a dog. We've been looking on the internet for different races and right now our preferance goes to a beagle. OUr time will be devided between our appartment in BA and the WE in the campo where he will be able to run a lot. It seems Beagles need to be trained well, so I was wondering if they have good dog trainers here, and if someone can recommend me one. What about dog walkers, how do you get one?

Is there anyone with a beagle? I see a lot of them on the streets, but are they OK in an appartment?
And if we go to Europe for 2 or 3 weeks, what is best : put the dog at a friends house, or take it on your trip? I don't think dogs like the long flights?
We used to have a Newfoundlander, she hated every change even for a day, and she was extremely lazy did nothing but sleep, she liked going for a walk but 1 block was more then enough then she could hardly lift her feet anymore (besides that she was adorable), that's why we want something more lively now. Beagles are not as "bad" as Jack Russels I hope?

Dog lovers on this forum, please advise me!

I had a beagle when I was younger, and boy was she a trip. Beagles have an innate instinct to run, run, run away, and maybe come back (if they feel like it). Ours would run away for days at a time. Of course this was in the suburbs...I doubt a beagle would act the same in a city. There probably aren't nearly as many fun smells and animals to chase after. They sure are cute dogs, and they do have energy. Just be careful when you go to the country to keep her on a leash or fence her in, if not be prepared for a very difficult job training her not to run away!!

If one nice thing came out of our beagle, is that on one of her trips she decided to have a fling with our neighbor's labrador, and well we got the cutest little miniature lab puppies in the world!!

You're right in saying that they are high energy dogs. They can be apt dogs but it is *essential* that they get regular exercise if you're living in an apartment. They also have a tendency to get obese - another reason you have to exercise regularly. Also important to monitor food intake. And yes, they wander - it's their nature. So if you're spending w/e in the campo - make sure the dog is well-trained otherwise you may not see him/her for a few days!
As always - if you buy a dog - PLEASE buy from a reputable breeder, see the hound/bitch and get a health certificate. Dogs in pet shops usually come from breeding mills and are much more prone to health problems due to inbreeding.

Hi, fellow dog lovers!!
Personally, beagles do need a lot of training and have a tendency, as a breed, to run as it is their instict to chase foxes and small game. Also, be careful because they HOWL as well so they might not be the best for your apartment situation.
You might want to look into training:
http://www.las-lunas.com.ar/ing_fotos.asp
http://www.dogsonholidays.com.ar/index.php
Also, there are quite a few shelters as well as rescue organizations which have purebred dogs. Sometimes people adopt from breeders, can't take care of the pet and throw them onto the street. It's sad but its a fact. You can check with local Vet's as well.
http://animales-en-adopcion.blogspot.com/search/label/tama%C3%B1o%20mediano
Best of luck!

The beagle I had growing up as well as the one my brother has have both been gluttons.

The English bulsdog might be more appropiate for an appartment, but maybe to lazy and what to do with an english buldog in the campo??
Not easy to chose the right dog...

katti said:
The English bulsdog might be more appropiate for an appartment, but maybe to lazy and what to do with an english buldog in the campo??
Not easy to chose the right dog...
You may find this amusing (as the breed in the United States oft is perceived as effeminate), but I suggest a toy or miniature poodle (the standard size is too big for apartment living). Intelligent, teachable, and affectionate, the breed adapts well to changing circumstances -- including weekends in the countryside -- is obedient, and requires minimal supervision.

RWS said:
You may find this amusing (as the breed in the United States oft is perceived as effeminate), but I suggest a toy or miniature poodle (the standard size is too big for apartment living). Intelligent, teachable, and affectionate, the breed adapts well to changing circumstances -- including weekends in the countryside -- is obedient, and requires minimal supervision.

might be true but I find them extremely ugly :eek: but thanks for the tip!

A dog is a dog is a dog.

Go Heinz 57 (mongrel) and choose it on other qualities you want..

Reactions: RWS
Back