Dog Transport APHIS Stamp (US)

dwabner

Registered
Hello! I’m moving to Argentina from the US in a couple weeks with my dog. I’m getting some conflicting information from my Veterinarian as far as the health certificate. He says that the APHIS stamp from the USDA is not required to travel to Argentina with a pet. Only a health certificate signed by him, whom I believe is USDA certified to do this. Can anyone confirm this information?

His email:

“The "government endorsement" is generally the APHIS stamp. It is NOT required for travel to Argentina according to the Department of Agriculture.”

To bring a dog from America to Argentina, you will need to fulfill several requirements. These include a microchip (recommended but not required), a rabies vaccination and certificate, a vet health certificate (Form 7001 in the US), and government endorsements. The International Veterinary Certificate (IVC) issued by the Veterinary Authority of the country of origin is also necessary, and it must contain the sanitary requirements contemplated in Resolution GMC 17/15. The certificate must be issued within ten days prior to the date of the IVC and must be written in Spanish or translated into Spanish. Additionally, the pet must have been vaccinated against rabies between 30 days and 12 months before arrival in Argentina. The CVI or the Passport validation, issued by the Sanitary Authority of the country in which you are located, is valid for 60 days to enter Argentina with your dog, as long as the anti-rabies vaccine is valid on the day of entry. No import permit is required. It's important to coordinate the boarding of your pet directly with the airline and to choose a pet-friendly airline. Sedation is neither recommended nor allowed. The requirements for traveling with your pet are described in the health certificate, and APHIS endorsement of the health certificate is required. The pet's passport must include a pet health certificate, rabies vaccination, and parasite treatments. The certificate must be endorsed by a government veterinarian representing the agency responsible. The Consulate does not process or grant any license to enter animals to Argentina. The boarding of your pet must be coordinated directly with the airline. The pet must arrive at the Frontier Inspection Post of entry to Argentina protected by the original International Veterinary Certificate containing all the sanitary regulations provided in the terms of the Resolution of the GMC of MERCOSUR No. 17/15, and this certificate will be valid for sixty consecutive days counted from the date of its issuance in the country of origin. https://www.petrelocation.com/country/argentina https://www.argentina.gob.ar/senasa/entry-dogs-andor-cats https://turismo.buenosaires.gob.ar/en/article/travelling-pets https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettravel-argentina https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/argentina.cfm

Hello! I’m moving to Argentina from the US in a couple weeks with my dog. I’m getting some conflicting information from my Veterinarian as far as the health certificate. He says that the APHIS stamp from the USDA is not required to travel to Argentina with a pet. Only a health certificate signed by him, whom I believe is USDA certified to do this. Can anyone confirm this information?

His email:

“The "government endorsement" is generally the APHIS stamp. It is NOT required for travel to Argentina according to the Department of Agriculture.”
it depends on who you get at the border. technically, they want an apostilled document from the government, not just a vet report. i've had to waste hours driving to the next border crossing before when i got the wrong guy at customs who really had it out for not letting my dog into the country ("Yes, the homeless dogs with a ton of diseases are allowed to come and go across the border with no document, but your dog isn't allowed to cross because i need the apostilled document from the government that you can't get because the system is down"), if you're flying in it'd probably really ruin your day.

it depends on who you get at the border. technically, they want an apostilled document from the government, not just a vet report. i've had to waste hours driving to the next border crossing before when i got the wrong guy at customs who really had it out for not letting my dog into the country ("Yes, the homeless dogs with a ton of diseases are allowed to come and go across the border with no document, but your dog isn't allowed to cross because i need the apostilled document from the government that you can't get because the system is down"), if you're flying in it'd probably really ruin your day.
Yeah flying in indeed. The ironies of south america living… I ended up finding a new vet who seems to have their shit together

A few years ago I flew from the US with my two dogs. My vet gave me an official Dept. of Agriculture animal travel form, with separate pages for the airline, Argentina authorities, and myself. I had no trouble at all in Ezeiza - animal control people were professional and friendly. They advised me to arrive on weekdays, when their fees were lowest.

A few years ago I flew from the US with my two dogs. My vet gave me an official Dept. of Agriculture animal travel form, with separate pages for the airline, Argentina authorities, and myself. I had no trouble at all in Ezeiza - animal control people were professional and friendly. They advised me to arrive on weekdays, when their fees were lowest.
That’s great to know! I’m arriving Friday morning so hoping that helps me. Thank you!

My vet told me to put an unwashed shirt of mine in each crate, as dogs are reassured by familiar smells. Best of luck with your trip....!

My vet told me to put an unwashed shirt of mine in each crate, as dogs are reassured by familiar smells. Best of luck with your trip....!
Oh good idea! I have an endless supply of those haha thank you!

Back