Dog Trainer Recs? Neighbor's Barking Dog Is Driving Us Nuts!

homeinbuenosaires

Registered
I'm in the Recoleta area. I have a private garden on the ground floor, and my neighbor, who has the other private garden (building is 8 stories or so) has a new dog that barks at all hours and is driving everyone insane. There are some psychologists etc who have their offices in our building and can't work like this. Others in the building have even approached me about it, thinking it's mine. I bought this place to use as a vacation rental, and there is no way that will be possible either with this noise a few meters away.

My neighbor is a reasonable man, which is why I am even bothering to ask. I feel that if I spoke politely with him and provided a shortlist of good trainers with barking dog experience in this area, he would oblige if he knew how much it was driving everybody crazy. The dog is still quite young, so I think there is still time, though I don't know anything about dogs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Citygirl -

I think he comes and goes, though I am not sure if the barking coincides with when he is out. I assume so - I forgot to mention that he is also a psychologist who works from home, and I doubt his clients would appreciate it. He is definitely not one who has a 9 - 5 and leaves the dog alone all day.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he is always out while the barking is going on, and therefore has no idea. This will also be my approach when I speak to him.

My dog (my profile pic) also used to bark when we left.
There are a few things he can do to teach the dog not to bark.
The dog barks because he's anxious that his owner left. So in order to help the dog relax, when the owner returns to his house he should wait about 5 minutes before greeting his dog (at least 2 minutes should be fine)...this way, the dog gets to learn that nothing happens when the owner gets home...like it's no big deal that the owner gets back...
on the contrary, if when he gets back he starts "hi baby, how's my beautiful baby" and yada yada the dog gets all excited and he's anxious waiting for the owner to come home to get all that attention.

Also, there's a thing I bought in the States for barking...which emits a sounds that dogs don't like and they learn that if they bark they'll hear that sound.
My husband can't hear it...I can...it's an annoying frequency...nothing that will harm the dog...but it is an anchor that will trigger this upset feeling and the dog will learn to be quiet.

I also used the little machine that emits a high pitched frequency that annoys the dog. It is activated when the dog barks to train them not to bark. Worked great with my dog. Costs $40 in the US... Not sure about here. There are also collars that spray a citrus scent if a dog barks that is supposed to do the same thing.

There might be an even easier solution. if the dog is still young it remembers being separated from the mother and does not want it to happen again. Suggest to the neighbour to give the dog an old towel oafter using it in the bath that the dog will keep for a while a couple of days while inside . A T shirt will do,too .After that when it is time to go outside the towel moves with it . The idea is that the dog does not feel exiled . It could create another syndrome though ,the one of the hiding dog as soon as the T shirt is thrown out into the garden. ;)

We bought one of those gadgets.
It';s called Bark Off!
It seems to work on cats too, although I can't think why.

Thanks, everyone, for these great suggestions! I was very interested in Bark Off!... until I read Gringoboy's response. I have a cat, and she is easily scared because she is a stray that I found in my garden. Will this be horrible for her too? I am very curious as to why you said that - was it from personal experience?

I am definitely open to telling him about all of these, and I think he would probably be happy for some advice once he finds out how bad it's been!

I did a documentary about dogwalkers a few years ago. There are many who are quite good (of course some who aren´t)--they get the dog exercise, be social around other dogs, and teach the dog how to be friendlier. Even if the owner is home during most of the day, 3 hours outside will make the dog happier and more tired when he gets back.
I would recommend one in addition to the solutions above.

Back