Dog Trainer Recs? Neighbor's Barking Dog Is Driving Us Nuts!

Why don't you buy a few pepper spray cans? Each time the dog starts to bark, just give a quick, short spray of the stuff over the fence. I guarantee that even the dumbest dog will make the connection.

Another option might be to ask him if you can look after the dog when he's away. Then you can teach the dog yourself not to bark and maybe even have a nice part-time pet.

Not sure about the pepper spray suggestion. That might not put you on good terms with the police in the event that you need them to get involved and can hurt the dog. All of the other suggestions are excellent. I've raised 5 dogs from litter to death and have trained all of them not to bark. I've also trained 15 dogs (to date) of friends and family to not bark, not pull on the leash, wait to get the "ok" to eat, not get distracted by other dogs around them while on leash, pee / poop on command, etc.

Many owners have no clue that dogs can be trained to not bark. It sounds like this owner is one of them. Ask him what his experience is with dogs and you'll know how to proceed.

I had a similar situation when I lived in Mendoza. My area was all PH's. The (idiot) neighbors next door would let their dogs out into the yard and the would bark constantly. The laughed at me when I suggested to train their dogs. I had an endless supply of tiny, crushed stones for our parking lot and I started lobbing handfuls over the fence when the barking started. By the third day all I needed to do was open my front door and the dogs would race back to the front porch. No more barking. Use this technique at your own discretion. Never do anything to penalize / hurt the dog for barking. It is always 100% owners fault.

I did a documentary about dogwalkers a few years ago. There are many who are quite good (of course some who aren´t)--they get the dog exercise, be social around other dogs, and teach the dog how to be friendlier. Even if the owner is home during most of the day, 3 hours outside will make the dog happier and more tired when he gets back.
I would recommend one in addition to the solutions above.
I agree with this. I used to have a lovely Alsation bitch in Spain that I trained hard otherwise they run amok.
She was lovely with everyone, but with other dogs a bloody nightmare.
If I did that again I would make sure she spent more time with other dogs.

Back