Dogs: Three year rabies vaccine not valid to leave the country??

Let me know what you find out about whether you have to get a new vet certificate in the US prior to returning to Argentina if you've only been out of Argentina for a few days. That would make things much easier for short trips.

I looked online at both SENSA and USDA websites and it appears you don't need any other vaccines for either the US or Argentina. Be careful if you have a layover in a third country. We fly Copa every now and then through Panama and I know Panama has some special requirements.

The plot thickens!

On Saturday, my vet gave me a phone number to call about taking the dogs OUT of the country with a three year vaccine that is now over one year old. It's the number for the place where they do the travel papers. But I didn't quite get who I was calling exactly!! (La Zaneta is what is noted on the paper?)

When I called the magic number I was told by them that the three year vaccine WAS VALID!

Also I was told that the travel documents you get here are valid for your return as long as you don't stay out of the country more than 30 days.

I immediately called my vet and recounted what I was told on the magic phone number. The vet will now call to confirm that I understood correctly. And I will let you know. I'll also find out who this magic phone number belongs to.

I was at a Vet's office today and through my Argentine neighbor....the Vet read the offical forms he had and he could find nothing about the "30" day rabies vaccination deadline.

But if I remember correctly when I brought my cat here it had to be "no less than 30 days before" you fly with you animal that the the rabies shot was to be given. This gives the vaccine time to protect your pet and others...the theory anyway.

There are two forms you are required to have:

1. Certificate of health, valid for 10 days only, so must get just before you leave.
2. Lazarotta, not sure what this is...no translation..but I think it's forms for the airport filling in your information and your animals...address, phone numbers, etc.

***the Vet also said they only do the rabies shots that are good for 1 year...and it's due to the fact that they have more cases of rabies here than in the U.S., where he feels it's not such a risk factor as here....his words anyway. He didn't know if the 3 year shots from the U.S. were valid here...sorry!

The price they gave me was: $40.00 pesos for #1 and $150 pesos for #2 above.

I am going to check another clinic and see if this is a fair price.

Hope this is of some help:)

EvergreenGal said:
I was at a Vet's office today and through my Argentine neighbor....the Vet read the offical forms he had and he could find nothing about the "30" day rabies vaccination deadline.

The 30 days here is the same 30 days as below. My dogs have a 3 year vaccination that was done in Europe. I was done on the 3rd of July 2008. On Saturday my vet was trying to tell me that this is no longer valid (ie that even though it is techincally valid until 2011 for him it ended on 3 July 2009) and that I couldn't leave the country with the dogs any earlier than 30 days after the vaccination (ie. what you mention below), which would have been a problem as I'm leaving on the second week of August.

But if I remember correctly when I brought my cat here it had to be "no less than 30 days before" you fly with you animal that the the rabies shot was to be given. This gives the vaccine time to protect your pet and others...the theory anyway.

There are two forms you are required to have:

1. Certificate of health, valid for 10 days only, so must get just before you leave.
2. Lazarotta, not sure what this is...no translation..but I think it's forms for the airport filling in your information and your animals...address, phone numbers, etc.

The two forms are valid for 30 days. So if you return before these 30 days are up you do not have to do the papers again to come back in the country.

But you do need to get them done no earlier than 10 days before you leave as you pet could become sick after the papers are done, so I was told.

Lazorata seems to be the agency (or the location of the agency?) that does the second certificate (or validate the first one? or some such thing).

***the Vet also said they only do the rabies shots that are good for 1 year...and it's due to the fact that they have more cases of rabies here than in the U.S., where he feels it's not such a risk factor as here....his words anyway. He didn't know if the 3 year shots from the U.S. were valid here...sorry!

The price they gave me was: $40.00 pesos for #1 and $150 pesos for #2 above.

I am going to check another clinic and see if this is a fair price.

Hope this is of some help:)
Both I and the vet called this infamous Lazarota place & we were both told that the 3 year vaccine from Europe is valid, so I imagine the US one is valid too. But that when this one is expired I will only get a one year vaccine here.

Phew!

Thanks for the prices.

anybody can help me with a good vet in BA?
someone that knows how to export dogs, chip, bloodtest etc.....

Thanks

Back