Dogs to Uruguay?

legilber

Registered
A question for people with dogs; anyone ever try taking their dog on a ferry to Colonia? I've read they're allowed on the train to tigre, but what about out of country?

Do a search for the word SENASA - I've posted information about taking dogs to Uruguay several times.

SaraSara: I'm sure you'd be a good person to ask, seeing that you've posted quite a bit of information about dogs. I'm currently in the process of flying my dog down from the states and came across a website that said the Health Certificate should be in both English and Spanish. I called around to the govt office who stamps the certificate, and they said they couldn't do that.

What do you think, is it necessary??

Last time I flew with my dogs, all they needed was the USDA form, filled and signed by their vet, a valid rabies vaccination, and a health certificate.

Try to arrive during the week, as the fee for checking the dog doubles on weekends and holidays.

Good luck....!

legilber said:
SaraSara: I'm sure you'd be a good person to ask, seeing that you've posted quite a bit of information about dogs. I'm currently in the process of flying my dog down from the states and came across a website that said the Health Certificate should be in both English and Spanish. I called around to the govt office who stamps the certificate, and they said they couldn't do that.

What do you think, is it necessary??

I moved to BA to do animal rescue, something I had done in a number of other cities. Been here 2 months.

I can help you when it comes to getting a dog TO Buenos Aires since I often have to help people (including myself) bring their dog FROM the United States to other countries.

To be 100% sure you are safe, I'd recommend this process:

1) Contact your USA vet about a month in advance and notify them that you will be moving/traveling overseas with your pet.
- and make sure your pets rabies vaccinations are up to date

2) You'll need to schedule an appointment for the pet's checkup. DATE IS IMPORTANT: you need to make sure that your vet trip (and forms) are all filled out NO LATER than 10 days before you'll be entering the country (in this case Argentina).

3) You'll need to ask your USDA CERTIFIED vet to contact the USDA to request a form. IMPORTANT: you need to know if your vet is USDA certified...just ask them.

4) Have your vet request the APHIS 7001 form.
The vet will need to send a signed fax to the states USDA office to rquests the form. NOTE, YOU CANNOT GET THE FORM since you likely aren't a USDA certified vet. The VET has to make the formal request. Many times, the vets don't know this because you are speaking on the phone with someone who is not trained like a receptionist. I find that in many cases, I have to educate the vet office personal about the process since all they say is "we don't have any forms, whatever forms you need you need to bring"...which causes a chicken or the egg scenario since you can't get the forms you need.

5) Ask the vet office to contact you when the form arrives in their office
(that way you can relax knowing it's there)

6) within 10 days of your trip, have your vet visit:
- have the vet complete the USDA APHIS 7001 form
- have them give you a copy of the most recent rabies vaccination record

7) Once you have a completed USDA APHIS 7001 form and the rabies certification, you'll need to have the APHIS 7001 form certified....

8) You have two options for USDA certification:
A) You can find a local USDA office in your city that certifies USDA forms
B) You can fedex the forms to be certified and be sure to include a pre-paid fedex return envelope.

#8 is tricky since time is an issue. Even FedEx can be a risk since you only have 10 days from getting the form completed to the USDA and get it back to you in time.

In California, it looked like I'd have to mail everything from Los Angeles to Sacramento. Luckily for me, there was a local Los Angeles branch of the USDA near the airport that handles certification.

Note that the form is only in english and since it's a USDA certified form, it's fine that it's not in spanish.

You can take the risk of just getting the standard health certificate from a vet, but it can be a risk depending on who is working that day.

9) arrival in BA:

Arrive at EZE, go through the normal passport routine and head to baggage claim. Get your bags and when you head out to get your baggage screened, there will be a desk to the right of the normal (2) screening rows. The bank will be behind the screeners and to the left of the desk you'll be looking for.

Just hand them the forms and they'll ask for the fee payment (which you'll have to go to the bank teller and handle there).

Forms get stamped and you're good to go.

and legilber, I'm in the process of figuring out the Uruguay situation myself. I plan on heading to Colonia in a few weeks and would prefer to bring my dog with me. She's only 16lbs, fits in a bag and takes the subte with me everyday. Would rather bring her than leave her at my home here.

Quinn said:
and legilber, I'm in the process of figuring out the Uruguay situation myself. I plan on heading to Colonia in a few weeks and would prefer to bring my dog with me. She's only 16lbs, fits in a bag and takes the subte with me everyday. Would rather bring her than leave her at my home here.

Buquebus takes pets in crates - not in the main cabin, but in a sort of hallway between the cabin and the hold. If it's hot, you can tie the dog to the wall of the hold and the car attendants will watch over her. I've seen many dogs travel like that, and they seemed calm. Giving the car attendants ten pesos will ensure the royal treatment for your dog.

The crossing takes an hour in the fast ferry, three in the slow one.

SaraSara said:
Buquebus takes pets in crates - not in the main cabin, but in a sort of hallway between the cabin and the hold. If it's hot, you can tie the dog to the wall of the hold and the car attendants will watch over her. I've seen many dogs travel like that, and they seemed calm. Giving the car attendants ten pesos will ensure the royal treatment for your dog.

The crossing takes an hour in the fast ferry, three in the slow one.
Doe you know if that's the case with even small dogs that travel in a bag? My dog is small enough that when flying, she's in a bag at my feet.

I don't know, but would guess that depends on who's on duty that day, and what side of the bed they got out of that morning. Perhaps you could try walking into the cabin without calling attention to the dog, and sitting as near to the door as possible.

You may get lucky - people here often view small cute dogs as stuffed toys, not animals. My small white fluffy cockapoo gets the royal treatment even in hotels where pets are not accepted.

Back