Dollar Up

"LOTS of things money can`t buy in Argentina" .... even if you have MasterCard.

thats why they call it "taste". Because its subjective, not provable.

I find plenty of really good food to eat in Argentina. I dont eat sushi here, or mexican food, because they are both pale imitations of the real thing. But there are more and more great restaurants here. I cook a fair amount, and raw ingredients are great, but you cant get all the same things you can in the US or Europe. I take mate and fernet and dry chimichurri mix north, and I bring certain spices and hard to get condiments south.
If you eat local, anywhere on earth, you eat better than if you try to duplicate your home cuisine.

thats why they call it "taste". Because its subjective, not provable.

I find plenty of really good food to eat in Argentina. I dont eat sushi here, or mexican food, because they are both pale imitations of the real thing. But there are more and more great restaurants here. I cook a fair amount, and raw ingredients are great, but you cant get all the same things you can in the US or Europe. I take mate and fernet and dry chimichurri mix north, and I bring certain spices and hard to get condiments south.
If you eat local, anywhere on earth, you eat better than if you try to duplicate your home cuisine.

Please name some of the good restaurants (aside from a few good parrillas)

Please name some of the good restaurants (aside from a few good parrillas)
Proper
Sucre
Gran Dabbang
Narda
La Carniceria
(and Chori, of course- nothing beats sitting on the curb drinking a great cheap gin and tonic from a plastic cup while eating the best choripan around)
Xiao Long Bao
La Canoa
Tori Tori
Los Galgos
Delapiane
Tierra De Nadia
to name just a few.
there are lots more.

Me, I also eat empanadas, pizza, and chori, I eat bondiola sandwiches and jamon crudo, I eat pasta at Pierinos, I eat arepas at Panachef, shwarma at Medio Oriente on Friday afternoons, and helado at Occo.

Proper
Sucre
Gran Dabbang
Narda
La Carniceria
(and Chori, of course- nothing beats sitting on the curb drinking a great cheap gin and tonic from a plastic cup while eating the best choripan around)
Xiao Long Bao
La Canoa
Tori Tori
Los Galgos
Delapiane
Tierra De Nadia
to name just a few.
there are lots more.

Me, I also eat empanadas, pizza, and chori, I eat bondiola sandwiches and jamon crudo, I eat pasta at Pierinos, I eat arepas at Panachef, shwarma at Medio Oriente on Friday afternoons, and helado at Occo.

CHAPEAU:p

Ries good old pal good ol body .. what shawerma? Please don`t say things like that. Never seen such a thing in 14 years.

Right now I could kill for corn beef sandwich on rye bread with fu**in pickle, a bagel with cheese cream and lux, a decadent polish debrazzini from a street food stand, breakfast with fu**in bacon, surf and turf with fresh maine lobster crab legs and scallops, texas real steak, prime rib roast with GREAVY for f*** sakes, spare ribs falling apart in your mouth, .... basta basta.

Good restaurants here have Argentinized stuff.
Nothing todo with real restaurants.
Argentine ingredients are a SUBSET of the natural world ingredients.
Cooking skills a SUBSET of world know how.

Why there is no f********* beacon here? It`s meat.
But hey they`d rather drool over intestine, tripa, tongue, and chinculena or whatever... what the hell.

Well, ...... letting some steam out, .... laughing about it.

Last edited:
"Nor can I empathize with those complaining that it is "not fair" or "wrong" that Bs As prices are approaching international norms."

Are salaries, pensions, etc approaching international norms?

"Nor can I empathize with those complaining that it is "not fair" or "wrong" that Bs As prices are approaching international norms."

Are salaries, pensions, etc approaching international norms?

When I said I could not empathize with those complaining that it is unfair that Bs As are approaching international norms, I was referring to expats (like myself) who are living on USD or other foreign currency, not to residents (or expats) who earn pesos. Obviously, one can empathize with the indigenous or working expats who earn pesos and for whom rising prices makes life difficult.

Ries good old pal good ol body .. what shawerma? Please don`t say things like that. Never seen such a thing in 14 years.

Right now I could kill for corn beef sandwich on rye bread with fu**in pickle, a bagel with cheese cream and lux, a decadent polish debrazzini from a street food stand, breakfast with fu**in bacon, surf and turf with fresh maine lobster crab legs and scallops, texas real steak, prime rib roast with GREAVY for f*** sakes, spare ribs falling apart in your mouth, .... basta basta.

Good restaurants here have Argentinized stuff.
Nothing todo with real restaurants.
Argentine ingredients are a SUBSET of the natural world ingredients.
Cooking skills a SUBSET of world know how.

Why there is no f********* beacon here? It`s meat.
But hey they`d rather drool over intestine, tripa, tongue, and chinculena or whatever... what the hell.

Well, ...... letting some steam out, .... laughing about it.

I am very unclear as to what you are saying here.
Shawarma is obviously quite common in Buenos Aires, lots of good middle eastern places. Have you ever tried the picante one at Media Oreinte? Fridays and Saturdays, only, they sell out by mid afternon. Hot, and fresh, they are really good.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...te-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

What, exactly, is it that you have never seen in 14 years?

I have had bacon. It exists. Cant remember where, but some of the new crop of burger places are making bacon burgers. Chori has been making some bacon for their choripans, and they have been selling a cinnamon roll with bacon.

I have had bagels- they are getting better, the jewish guy from NYC is now making pretty decent ones, and, of course, cream cheese ("philadelphia") has always been easy to get. https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/3djazj/meet-the-bagel-guy-of-buenos-aires
He now has a regular restaurant/bagelry on Uriarte, just down from plaza serrano.

I havent been to El Tejano since they moved from Honduras, but their spare ribs, texas bbq style, were very good and authentic, as was all their barbecue.

Never been a fan of surf and turf, but, obviously, seafood that is any good is quite rare in BA.
And I have no idea what a "texas real steak" is, but I have had the best steaks of my life in BA, at, usually half of US prices.

My guess is you dont try new restaurants, and have never been to any of the places I have recommeded.
Which is fine, but it means that what you are really saying is that you havent eaten good food here, due to finances, geography, or laziness. Not that it doesnt exist.

I dont know anybody, for example, who complains about the Pony Line burger, except that its expensive.
But the burger at my local bar in Edison Wa, rural bumfuck USA, is now $16.25 plus 20% tip and 10% tax. I dont think the Pony Line is much more than that. Last I heard a burger plus a drink there was in the 400 peso range. If I went to a fancy restaurant in the city, in the US, the burger would be more.

You just need to get out more.

Last edited:
Back