Dollar Up

When I said I could not empathize with those complaining that it is unfair that Bs As are approaching international norms, I was referring to expats (like myself) who are living on USD or other foreign currency, not to residents (or expats) who earn pesos. Obviously, one can empathize with the indigenous or working expats who earn pesos and for whom rising prices makes life difficult.

Indigenous workers who get paid in pesos like Unionized Bankers and Truckers, et. al. get adjusted yearly way over inflation so they deserve no empathy.
However Expats earning a fixed Dollar income, like SSA, got an adjustment of 2% for USA inflation last year ..!! :rolleyes:
Also Workers in Negro are not protected against galloping inflation....o_O

Ries my dear friend, sorry, I have much trouble with what I can not have here in BA.
It`s so obvious that you are in luck with what there is.

Since you mentioned prices:
Buying what I want and like is never expensive (it`s a pleasure). I`d kill for that friggin burger of Edison Wa, rural bumfuck USA.
Being forced to buy what is only available (and I dislike and don`t want) is expensive.

What the heck, fine and dandy, ...
Let`s agree that shawerma and beacon are very common here on every street corner, and Argie food is the best anywhere on planet earth. LOL.
I bid you peace !

Last edited:
Ries my dear friend, sorry, I have much trouble with what I can not have here in BA.
It`s so obvious that you are in luck with what there is.

Since you mentioned prices:
Buying what I want and like is never expensive (it`s a pleasure). I`d kill for that friggin burger of Edison Wa, rural bumfuck USA.
Being forced to buy what is only available (and I dislike and don`t want) is expensive.

What the heck, fine and dandy, ...
Let`s agree that shawerma and beacon are very common here on every street corner, and Argie food is the best anywhere on planet earth. LOL.
I bid you peace !

I am in favor of peace.
I didnt say bacon was on every corner- I said, it exists, and, if you want it bad enough, you could find it.
And I have had really really good burgers in Buenos Aires- my current favorites are the aforementioned Delapiane, Tierra De Nadie, Paris Burger (He somehow is getting french cheese flown in regularly) KonKon, and the PonyLine burgers, which I have only had when he was guest chef at Tierra de Nadie.
If you havent tried the burgers at these places, you should. They are every bit the equals, if not mostly better, than the ones at the Old Edison Inn.

There is no doubt that the good food in Buenos Aires is NOT on every corner. But its there, sometimes it takes whipping out your Sube Card and taking a bus, but a lot is out there. However, just like you cant get a decent empanada in the USA to save your life, or, say, fugazetta and faina, there are some things you just cant get in Buenos Aires. My particular complaint is spicy food- Argentines are complete wusses when it comes to picante, much less spices in general. Which is why mexican food in argentina is such a joke. You can, these days, though, get good, and spicy, Korean and Peruvian food, more and more. I rarely eat a milanesa.

However, just like you cant get a decent empanada in the USA to save your life,

Ries, Oh my God. What? I`d be long dead before I ask for what you call it ... empanada? Seeing the stuff raises my pressure!
Why are you so cruel to me? I`m a nice elderly fellow, .. un amorcito !!!
My doctor advised against taking too much abuse at my old age.

Last edited:
I just saw my doctor- she told me I was "young and healthy"- I was born in 1955. So I will take her word for it. I can get these delivered for 25 pesos each, and there is no delivery, nor are there 25 peso empanadas, within about 2000 miles of my house in the USA. So I am going with it.
After all, in the words of the great Howe Gelb- Nobody Ever Sees It Coming. 351236-e1cfaa3c-cc64-45a5-a8f4-f1e8d3f00b7b.png
Quinto- Arenales, near Salguero. this one is sun dried tomatoes and arugula, but the cherry, panceta and cheese is pretty killer too.
And they also have a branch in Beccar, for you suburban types.

There used to be a great restaurant in Palermo Hollywood called Standard. It's too bad it closed. Does anyone know if the owners opened somewhere else? It was the best of Argentine traditional cuisine, updated with solid modern touches (as opposed to superfluous ones). Would love to eat something like that again.

Anywhere to get good ravioli de sesos?

I am not complaining!!!

It has been fun to watch how an inquiry about the dollar exchange rate morphed into how expensive Buenos Aires is morphed into restaurant reviews

I second the recommendation of the Pony Line for a hamburger. Also the smoked trout ceased is killer. It's all expensive but a fun spurge.

If you don't mind cooking it yourself real bacon (called baćon or pancetta) can be found at most good butchers.

T/

I was under the impression that Americans eat hamburgers because steak is too expensive. When Paul Newman was asked why he was faithful to Joanne Woodward, his wife of forty years, he said: "Why go out for hamburger when I have steak at home?"

Standard was good. But its been closed for what- 5 years now? I think 2 different restaurants have occupied that space since then. The same people who own Sudestada, which is still open, owned Standard. And, they found, that there is a much bigger market for mid priced faux asian than another variant on the parilla. I liked it too, but I dont think it was so different from, say, Sucre. In fact, I would say Sucre does a better job of the same thing. I think the chefs who cooked at Sudestada are working in Spain now- one in Madrid and one in Barcelona.

Hamburger and Steak are two completely different things.
A good chef will cook both, for different reasons in different ways.
A good steak, like the ones at La Carniceria, or the KILO steak at proper, needs no sauces or condiments.
A good hamburger is all about the combinations- the cheese, the lettuce, or onions, or pickles, the bacon, the aioli or tomatos or special sauces, the bun and the entire package.
Argentines eat hamburgers because they saw them in US movies, or they think its modern, but, more and more, its because they taste good- and they are completely different from steaks.
You can eat both.

I've tried a number of the highly-rated burger places in Palermo "Soho" and they're all bad. Shake Shack in USA for example is far superior (and cheaper). McDonald's makes tastier burgers here.

Where can I get the best-quality achuras plate? Fervor had the best one I've tried yet, but curious if there are other good options

Back