Dollars For Travel

I'm hardly a defender of this government, but at the same time I understand that the buying of dollars is a priority problem primarily for Expats and middle class natives. Maybe some of those people you are calling "idiots" understand this and realize everything is not as black and white as many on this forum would like to believe. "Idiots" come in all shapes and sizes.

Oh those poor middle class problems. In most countries this would be a huge concern since the middle class constitutes an enormous portion of the population. However here in Argentina CFK is happy to see it continue to shrink and shrink and shrink, get rid of it entirely, we're the ones causing the problems because we dare to complain. If the middle class would just shut up about all their problems with oh, I don't know, trying to obey the law and buy their dollars legally, and buy their properties legally (since so far the govt has NOT done anything to make the purchase/sale of properties in dollars illegal), then all this problem of buying dollars would just go away.

Eclair -- we haven't tried buying dollars in a few months since my husband's company has cut all of his travel and has instead had all hands on deck trying to close the numbers for the year... those pesky little import restrictions are wreaking havoc with their business.

Anyway, last time we tried -- 7 days before travel you could request, there was none of this 24/48 hrs bs that they were giving you. however, there definitely were restrictions as to when the money was available at the banks (not sure if self-imposed, govt imposed, or simply run out of dollars). The ridiculous thing is that you basically only have about 30mins-1hr after the bank opens to get the dollars, and then AFIP or someone is essentially shutting down the currency exchange via legal channels. Not sure when your husband is trying, but best to go to his own branch of the bank right at opening and see if he can't get them then.

If it's true that there's a 24 hour window, that's ridiculous. We leave on a Monday - getting to the bank on Sunday would be a challenge... when are we supposed to go, Monday morning and hope their computers aren't down or that they didn't run out or that there's something with the system? :p

If there is a 24 hr window, it wouldn't be 24hrs -- it would be 1 business day ahead -- ie if you leave on monday you would be able to buy on the friday. As I said, get there first thing in the morning, before they even open the doors.

If there is a 24 hr window, it wouldn't be 24hrs -- it would be 1 business day ahead -- ie if you leave on monday you would be able to buy on the friday. As I said, get there first thing in the morning, before they even open the doors.

Yep, that is how we got USD about 2 months ago. We went to the bank the day before travel with AFIP approval, stood in line at the local branch before it opened, and the transaction went through at like 10:10.

Happy update - my husband was able to buy dollars today. :)

He went with a family friend (who takes care of a lot of the banking for his family company and is familiar with the bank) and was able to buy without much issue. He did have to sign a lot of legal papers (at least 3 declaraciones juradas) and had to speak to several people and wait 30 minutes as they did the tramite, but in the end it got done. Seems like a lot of paperwork for a small sum of cash, but at least it will help.

This was at Banco Provincia. There is always a huge line out front, but for this they went to a separate area in the back of the bank where there was a much shorter line. My husband said that he wouldn't have had a clue about any of it if he didn't go with someone who was more experienced navigating the bank and knew what they were doing. I would not be surprised if banks 'play dumb' so as to not have to do all the paperwork it takes.

I don't know about this being a "middle-class" problem - but I think the issues with the economy are a problem for everyone.

My husband had some dollars that he needed to exchange to pesos (work money) and needed official paperwork, so he went to Banco la Nacion, and got it done in 15 mins... Although they looked at him kind of funny. I'm just amazed at how different the experience is when it's the other way around.

Back