dollars

Still amazed over the dollars questions here at the board......last week someone wanted to do a "charity" trade, selling pesos at 4.50.......greeeeeat, (Dont wanna mention names, anyway dont think the person found anyone that stupid)
Today we have someone that wanna do another trade with pesos and ask for around 5! Lets make this clear: NO ONE wants to sell the dollar and get the peso at these levels! Its a sellers market for the dollar!
If you have pesos and want to sell: Look at Ambito.com.ar.....there you have the official un-official rate of dollars! If the rate is f.ex. 5.95, then just forget it to sell at 5, sorry!Of course the price for changing money differs from place to place and person to person, but, use the website as a guideline!!!! No one wanna do a losing trade with a total stranger just to make them happy, sorry to be so straight!
Anyway, I myself did one charity trade today....my girlfriend left for Spain and needed hard currencies....so, I gave her dollars at a close to CFK rate......but.....dont expect this from a stranger on a message board...wake up!

This whole black market thing here is weird.. I have changed money in many places in the world on the black market, zimbabwe, uzbekistan, burma etc, and it was easy to find people/places to change money, often at the border they would be waiting for you. But here its word of mouth, and one day they might be buying, the next not.

There is a small jewelry shop (well they sell watches, batteries, chargers, light blubs etc) close to where i live. Was told about it by my landlady. Changed US$ there a few times at a very good rate, then a couple of weeks ago they were closed for a week.. Then when i went there last week they said they werent buying dollars anymore.. So i dont know if they just wanted some for themselves, and purchased what they wanted, or the AFIP had paid them a visit, or what !!!

As with most things in argentina, it never works like you expect or like it does in other countries !!!!

davonz:

A little like Kebab in Germany.....: Back in time, people started wondering how it could be that a kebab sandwich could be bought for around 1 euro at that time.....the minumum cost for making one of them was around 1,50 Euro! (There was made a big survey to find out about the hole story).
It turned out that it was a huge money laundering machine......the kebab places just wanted a huge turnover as a cover for white washing of drug and prostitution money....so to get that, they needed a very very competitive price!
So, I could imagine that people here in Argentina have similar tricks and ideas....:))))

TERKILD said:
Got 6,50 for the small cash I had, but they didnt wanna change more than 20.000 USD for me last friday.....so, the rate is only valid for those small numbers....
Oh yea I believe you big guy. I don't change thousands only hundred or even less. Let me know how little they want to change for 6.5 and I'll roll in. Then you can have me a third party confirm your BS.

che said:
Oh yea I believe you big guy. I don't change thousands only hundred or even less. Let me know how little they want to change for 6.5 and I'll roll in. Then you can have me a third party confirm your BS.

When you talk about hundreds, do you mean hundred thousands???? :)

If anyone who has a Charles Schwab account wants to trade their pesos (less than 10,000) for dollars (prior to leaving the country) at a reasonable rate, please let me know via PM.

steveinbsas said:
If anyone who has a Charles Schwab account wants to trade their pesos for dollars (prior to leaving the country) at a reasonable rate, please let me know via PM.

Gonna open a schwab account just for that trade.....:)

TERKILD said:
Got 6,50 for the small cash I had, but they didnt wanna change more than 20.000 USD for me last friday.....so, the rate is only valid for those small numbers....

Strange, the chinese i deal with for small amounts give more the higher the amount!

ghuesca said:
Hi
quick summary of my life:
I am going back to the US in 48 hours.
I have 2000 argentine pesos.
No one will change them to dollars at a "reasonable" rate (not even at 5p to the dollar).
I need help. Anyone who is willing to change their dollars to pesos at 5p to the dollar within the next 48 hours, please please PLEASE let me know. I am desperate. I have been to: AFIP, every bank possible, casas de cambio, cuevas, even the US embassy.*

*US embassy told me they can´t do anything because it is Argentine Law that is restricting dollars. The AFIP told me that technically I have a right to change my pesos to dollars, but said no anyway and sent me away.

If you have dollars, DONT CHANGE THEM. :mad:

need help urgently.

What's the big deal. What we are talking about is only about +or- 400 U.S. dollars. You've got 48 hours just go out and blow it on one last good time.

Miles Lewis said:
Strange, the chinese i deal with for small amounts give more the higher the amount!

I only deal with the chinese when i do diamond trades.....

Back