Donating To The Poor Suggestions.

johnw100

Registered
Hi all

So we`re leaving Arg in a few months sadly to go back to the UK ,and we have loads of things we need to leave behind, mainly our kids clothes that they have outgrown.
I`ve had an argument with my Argentine wife who wants to sell all the clothes because they were expensive. But I just want to give them away to poor families, and i think i`ve won her around to the idea. Anyway, i want to do it properly rather than just drive to the nearest villa and give them out , and i dont want to look like some arrogant foreigner at the same time giving out freebies, but i want to meet the people i`m giving them too rather than some charity that who knows where the items end up in some employees own wardrobe, you never know.
Theres alot of good stuff like nike, adidas trainers, jeans, t-shirts, lots of baby blankets and other clothes that we bought from the UK at high end stores that are really nice quality.

So can anyone give suggestions on how best to offer these to ones that need them most?

Thanks in advance

Hi all

So we`re leaving Arg in a few months sadly to go back to the UK ,and we have loads of things we need to leave behind, mainly our kids clothes that they have outgrown.
I`ve had an argument with my Argentine wife who wants to sell all the clothes because they were expensive. But I just want to give them away to poor families, and i think i`ve won her around to the idea. Anyway, i want to do it properly rather than just drive to the nearest villa and give them out , and i dont want to look like some arrogant foreigner at the same time giving out freebies, but i want to meet the people i`m giving them too rather than some charity that who knows where the items end up in some employees own wardrobe, you never know.
Theres alot of good stuff like nike, adidas trainers, jeans, t-shirts, lots of baby blankets and other clothes that we bought from the UK at high end stores that are really nice quality.

So can anyone give suggestions on how best to offer these to ones that need them most?

Thanks in advance

Infringing on Cámpora territory can be dangerous business.

One suggestion of many: check with the Catedral San Jorge on Scalabrini Ortiz (011 4776-2283). There has been a huge influx into Argentina of refugees from Syria, which is probably the most dire humanitarian situation at the moment. Since the Catedral was founded by Arabic immigrants, they have been at the forefront on this issue, and if they cant come up with a direct use, I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

We regularly have people that come by asking for clothes to sell, which we relgularly give them on occasion when we have it. You do have to be careful though. "Los Cartoneros" are usually ok....if you leave them out front in a sac or bag by the trash, the cartoneros will definately stop and take them. later you might see some of your stuff being sold on the avenue LOL.

If someone comes to your door and asks for clothes in Argentina be careful, especially if they come in pairs of two or more (chorros). The "ok" ones will generally flash a DNI or at the very least try to sell you something in return like "garbage bags" etc.. but you do have to be careful. If it's women with kids it's generally ok so...although becareful. It's a known fact that chorros will sometimes pay people like this to sell stuff and/or ask for clothes when in reality they're doing intelligence and snooping around trying to find easy targets ( houses without rejas, careless neighbors ) that are a prime target for an easy robbery. They report back to the Chorros on what they've seen etc, who then pay them for the "intelligence" LOL

I recommend a low profile and not drawing any unwanted attention....if you leave clothes out too much it's also an invitation and the next thing you know you've got folks ringing your doorbell asking for bread, clothes to sell every other day LOL

Try a comedor popular, there are several at La Boca and Constitución where the children also get a merienda and help with the homework. I remember the name of "las madres de constitucion" from many years ago.

Try a comedor popular, there are several at La Boca and Constitución where the children also get a merienda and help with the homework. I remember the name of "las madres de constitucion" from many years ago.

This is a good idea....my wife and I worked at a couple of these. Actually if you check with local evangelical or catholic churches they also accept donations for clothing....

Margarita Barrientos, the founder and leader at Los Piletones helps more than 2000 people, mostly children. Iglesia San Cayetano and Padre Pepe are other options where you can go by yourself and see the field.

Back